PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Roseate Spoonbill

James Shadle
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Nikon D700
Sigma 300-800 @ 800mm with Kenko Pro DG 2X = 1600mm
ISO 800 1/800 @ F16
Manual Focus and Exposure
Almost full frame, a little dodging and surface blur at the top.

Tampa Bay via "The Hooptie Deux"
With Artie M, Daniel C, Denise I, Randy S, Robert A and last but least Roman K.

Hit and Run, I'll be able to offer critiques tonight.

Thanks for looking.

Kiran Poonacha
02-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Great Expo here, nice colors with a lovely angle to add to it.. nicely done james bhai...

Brendan Dozier
02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Amazing looking bird! Pose, exp., color, detail look excellent. Well done Captain James!

Tin Man Lee
02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Beautiful!! The water droplet adds dynamic to an almost zen-like peaceful posture. I like the dark background a lot.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-16-2011, 01:17 PM
With all of you on board, am sure the Spoonies were giving their best poses :-) Stunning capture, this one. great angle, colors, light, comp....that water drop is nice extra touch. Some eye doctoring will improve it IMO.

Bill Dix
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Wonderful. This spoonie is certainly in great plumage - looks like a flower. Nicely done.

James Shadle
02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Kaustubh,
What kind of eye doctoring?
Thanks!

Charles Glatzer
02-16-2011, 03:58 PM
James,

This is one STUNNING image!!!!!!!!!

Chas

Morkel Erasmus
02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
awesome pose, light, details and exposure here El Capitan! didn't believe this image quality if possible at those settings with a 2x on the Sigmonster...:eek:

Troy Lim
02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Another great spoonbill shot from you James.

Arthur Morris
02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Killer. Getting lower than me helped. I am impressed with the surface blur stuff. I did not know that you went there :)

Love the water droplet. Thanks again for a great morning.

Danny J Brown
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I really think this is the coolest spoonbill shot I've ever seen. The combo of the pose, plumage and color handling all come together to make this, well.......the coolest spoonbill shot I've ever seen! The white on the neck, the butterscotch along the face......the coolest spoonbill shot........whoops, I already said that!

DB

DanWalters
02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Love the light and colors of the bird. Great pose as well.

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Not often you get two Sigmonsters in the water!!! With the 2x.......I only have one word (maybe more:2eyes2:) for the non believers...Sigma....Sigma......sigma.....now i have to go out and get the 2x!
Great day with great people.....what more could you ask for as a b-day present?!!!:bg3:

James Shadle
02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Killer. Getting lower than me helped. I am impressed with the surface blur stuff. I did not know that you went there :)

Love the water droplet. Thanks again for a great morning.

Artie,
I will dodge and burn, however the blur is not where I normally go. That's why I made sure I mentioned it.
I overheard you explaining a blur technique Denise showed you. What the heck, I figured I'd give it a try. A little dab will do ya.

arash_hazeghi
02-17-2011, 12:18 AM
excellent capitain, super pose, did you have the tighten the mongoose screws before taking this :D ?

Randy Stout
02-17-2011, 07:37 AM
James:

To quote a famous spoonbill guy, this is "one stud of a bird". Superb breeding colors,great black band and bill markings.

Great pose.

Interesting to see the subtle differences in color between this image and my images of this same guy.
Your colors are slightly warmer, less pink than mine.

I do see what Kaustubh was saying about the eye. The catchlight is so large that to me it tends to reduce the apparent sharpness of the eye. Probably looks great when seen larger.

Thanks again, for the great outing!!

Cheers

Randy

James Shadle
02-17-2011, 09:10 AM
excellent capitain, super pose, did you have the tighten the mongoose screws before taking this :D ?

Mongoose screws all good this time!
However I did break a tripod the day before I took this image:e3 and was using my backup Aluminum Gitzo.

James Shadle
02-17-2011, 09:19 AM
James:

To quote a famous spoonbill guy, this is "one stud of a bird". Superb breeding colors,great black band and bill markings.

Great pose.

Interesting to see the subtle differences in color between this image and my images of this same guy.
Your colors are slightly warmer, less pink than mine.

I do see what Kaustubh was saying about the eye. The catchlight is so large that to me it tends to reduce the apparent sharpness of the eye. Probably looks great when seen larger.

Thanks again, for the great outing!!

Cheers

Randy

Randy,
This is a "stud" bird!

There is not a catchlight, there are catchlights. One from the sun above and one from the sun's reflection on the water.
Looks great large, one of those things lost in the .jpg compression translation.

I didn't do much with the colors, I brought the image up a little with levels and took some red out.

Great having the band together this last week.

PS Randy is a Rock In Roll animal!

Indranil Sircar
02-17-2011, 09:30 AM
James, what a beautiful bird with that stunning color! Love the low angle pose and surface blur. It was good to meet you finally. Sure missed the ride on Hooptie... hope to make it next time.

Mark Hardymon
02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
James - What a stunning shot, would have to agree it may be the best spoonbill I have seen! It was great to see you again the other day, hope I can get down and maybe have another shot at these beautiful birds.

stuart wanuck
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Love the image

Sid Garige
02-17-2011, 06:10 PM
You make extraordinary image with extraordinary gear James.

Daniel Cadieux
02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
First, thanks for an awesome day on the bay! Yet another great experience aboard the Hooptie Deux, and along some great company.

Excellent image. Colours look great, and so does the water and BG. Of course that water drop adds a neat touch to it all.

P.S. Rock on!

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Stunning image James. Thanks for the day out, and all the great company.

annmpacheco
02-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I like a stud bird that wears pink!!! A day with you on the Hooptie Deux is on my bucket list James.

So gorgeous Thank you