PDA

View Full Version : American Goldfinch

Peter Farrell
02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Backyard Setup. Sony A700, 70-400G @400mm, f7.1, 1/500, iso800, monopod.
I cloned out a branch on the left side and one intersecting the tail. I also extended the perch from the tail to the right side of image., Curves and sharpen on bird.

Bill Dix
02-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Very nice one, Peter. Exposure and detail look good. Looks possible that the focus point was on the shoulder rather than the eye, but we're talking a fraction of an inch here. Nice that you got the whole tail above the perch, and a great HA. BG works nicely with the bird's coloration. Nice clean looking bird; my Goldfinches usually have some thistle seed stuck to their bills. Good job extending the perch; I wouldn't have noticed the repeat marks if you hadn't mentioned it. I might have cropped a bit off the right to make the bird less centered.

Fred Canter
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks very good Peter, although I agree the focus seems to be in the shoulder rather than the eye but doesn't hurt the image. I'd be tempted to try two changes on the shot. First a slight crop on the right side to get the bird out of the center. You may even consider adding some canvas back to the left after cropping the right side, not sure of the canvas addition I'd have to play with the image to determine that. Second I would attempt just to see the difference is to darken the light area directly over the back to equal the color and shade of darker area above the wing and back. Either clone the light area or burn that a tad.

Peter Farrell
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for your critiques Bill & Fred,
Here is a re-post adjusting the image based on your critique. I re-cropped, darkened the light area above the back and added some selective sharpening to the head.
Peter

Fred Canter
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
That's exactly what I had in mind. At least for me it looks much improved, well done.

Arthur Morris
02-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Repost is a big improvement. Perhaps a tad too much off the right. Head angle, EXP, and SH all good.

Biggest suggestion? Find a more attractive perch, one with character.... The scar on the left side is dsitracting.

RakeshDhareshwar
02-16-2011, 04:06 AM
The repost looks awesome. Love the creamy BG and the bird is cute !!

Allen Sparks
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Love the repost. very well done.