PDA

View Full Version : It is always Cheetah Week

Ken Watkins
02-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Another shot from the three male coalition, in Kwara concession, Okavango Delta, Botswana 1st January 2011.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from open game viewing vehicle

5.6, ISO800, 1/800

Austin Thomas
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Great angle and fabulous action Ken. Really well done.

I love the strong eye contact with the viewer and could see this image used to advertise something.

Personally, I would tone down the light near vertical piece of vegetation a touch (on the RHS as we view the image) and I think the head could accept a touch more sharpening to make it pop even more.

Great image.

Cheers

Austin

Stephen Stephen
02-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Ken I really like the eye contact, the low angle and the open mouth. As Austin mentioned a touch of selective sharpening, especially around the eyes, would be nice.

It's too bad that the left front leg is not clearly visible. It makes him seem a touch off balance.

That being said I'd still love to have this in moy collection.

Marc Mol
02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
It's too bad that the left front leg is not clearly visible. It makes him seem a touch off balance.

Agree with Stephen here, but had you taken this one stride later you most likely would have lost that great expression!:bg3:
Agree on some selective sharpening on the face.
TFS

Hilary Hann
02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I very nice New Year's Day sighting. The expression is the big selling point here.

Todd Frost
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Facial expression brings this up a notch. Nice stare and comp. Just a touch more sharpening on the face does it for me as well. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Ken Watkins
02-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks to all all of your helpful comments, I forgot to adjust the sharpness after converting to JPEG:2eyes2:

I have toned down the "pesky" twig (thanks Austin)

Stephen,

Longer grass is one of the unortunate perlis of the green (Emerald) season, but given that the accomodation is half price and the game viewing is nearly as good I do not mind it that much.

Mark,
You are totally correct I have a few from this walking sequence, and this is the only one with a full on face plus the expression

Harshad Barve
02-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Ken , I know you have many images of Cheetah and I am very jealous , but , Man this is my new favorite :cheers::cheers::cheers:
TFS

Ken Watkins
02-16-2011, 02:47 AM
Harshad,

You are most kind, I like it a lot as well. Cheetahs are so beautiful and I have been very lucky with my sightings.

Morkel Erasmus
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
love the pose here! why not rotate so the cheetah doesn't seem to be "falling forward"? even though the leg seems straight, the face makes it seem off-balance? :S3:

Ken Watkins
02-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Morkel,

I am happy with it as is, the ground was very bumpy, and he was moving downwards towards me.:bg3::bg3: