PDA

View Full Version : White-throated Dipper

Thomas Herou
02-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Taken an afternoon in the mild nordic winterlight.

Pentax K-5,Sigma 500/4,5
ISO 400, f/8, 1/800s

Bill Dix
02-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Very evocative shot. I love the almost b&w feeling. I might be tempted to reduce or eliminate the yellowish spot.

Doug Brown
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
This image captures the Dipper habitat very well. The low angle gives the photo a sense of intimacy. You handled the side lighting nicely. I like Bill's idea about removing the yellowish spot. It would have been nice if you'd gotten slightly more of a head turn. The OOF stick at the bottom middle of the frame is a bit of a distraction.

Fred Canter
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Agree the yellow spot should be removed, but the out of focus stick in the bottom middle is more troublesome for me. When first viewing the image my eye was pulled to the feet as they are framed by the branches. Removing the stick, I think, would draw my eye first to the head and eyes of the bird. Otherwise a very beautiful image.

Thomas Herou
02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all comments and inputs.
Very good points you made,but for me the stick makes a depth and 3D-feel which I look for.
The yellow spot (a reflection from the stream) is a little disturbing,I agree.

Arthur Morris
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
O-o-f elements in front of our subjects are pretty much always a distraction as they are here. If you want to add depth try to have the o-o-f elements beyond the subject.....

I like the square crop for this one but am not a fan of sidelight.

Thomas Herou
02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the comment,Arthur.
I think we have different tastes.I like sidelight,because I think the motive comes alive more.
Not the stuffed and static museum feel which sometimes the hard light can bring.

Arthur Morris
02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Thomas, I have no problem with folks having different tastes or styles than mine :) All that I can do is be honest.

Thomas Herou
02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
I feel the same, Arthur!
It is the difference that is interesting and makes you sometimes look at images
from a new angle.