PDA

View Full Version : Common Redpoll

AlvanBuckley
02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I photographed a flock of these birds this past Saturday near downtown Toronto.

I've had a few opportunities to photograph them throughout the winter as there has been a bit of an irruption into Southern Ontario. I think they're really nice looking, almost like warblers of the winter! :)

This is one of the few good photos that didn't have a very cluttered background.

ISO 400
0 ev
f/5.6
SS 1/3200
Nikon D300s + VR 80-400 @ 400mm

C&C would be appreciated!
thanks in advance
-Alvan Buckley

Jeff Dyck
02-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Alvan - a nice shot of a beautiful little bird. The pose and head angle look great. I would consider cropping tighter from the top and left (and maybe a little from the right) to try to eliminate some of the distracting background elements (i.e. the two distracting branches in either lower corner). If you are so inclined, you might also consider some clean-up of the birds dirty bill.

Chris Korman
02-15-2011, 02:50 AM
I like the image, though I am not sure about the total centering of the bird

Allen Sparks
02-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Very nice catch. Love the pose and details. I would crop a little tighter on the right and then clone out what remained of the oof branch in the corner. The oof branch on the left could go too but would take more work. Nice image!

AlvanBuckley
02-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the critiques. Very helpful. I've recropped the image and cloned out the small twig in the LRC as well as one of the purple 'berry'-like parts of the tree. I don't mind the dirty bill because it was part of what the bird was eating. I decided not to clone out the twigs in the LLC because it'll be a bit more difficult for me and I think they're a little more tolerable now.
Here's the new version.

Ofer Levy
02-15-2011, 07:57 AM
I like the original post but agree with removing the twig on the right. The bird is way too big in the frame in the repost IMO.

Arthur Morris
02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Agree with Mr. Levy. While the repost is nice, the original COMP is far more pleasing to the eye. I would not crop away a single pixel..... Nice head angle, EXP, and I love the pine seed in the bird's bill.