PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Costa Rican

Christoph Belanger
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM

This was taken during my trip to Costa Rica last November. This little fella hit a window and rested for a while on this branch until he flew off. Not sure what it is so any help in ID would be helpful. This was taken at Bosque de Paz. Oh yeah, any C&C would be helpful too.

Details: Shutter speed: 1/25 sec, Aperture: 8,Exposure mode: Av, Exposure compensation: -2/3, Flash: External E-TTL, Flash exposure compensation: -3, Metering mode: Evaluative, Drive mode: Single frame shooting, ISO: 1000, Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM.

Chris Korman
02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
I really like the lime colors and the smoothness and soothing feeling coming from this image. I noticed you shot it at ISO 1000, I think it has been mentioned here that ISO 1000 on certain Canon cameras (non 1D series) that "non standard" ISOs are actually artificial, and that it is best to shoot on say 800 or 1600. Someone correct me if I am incorrect.

Dan Brown
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
This one has me stumped Christoph! I want to call this some kind of Tody because of the bill shape but the color of the body, tail and the little bit of rufous on the flanks really doesn't fit any birds that my CR guides show? Hope that someone from CR looks in on this!

Doug Brown
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I've been looking into the ID myself, but so far haven't found a good match either. I'm going to copy the thread to the Avian ID forum.