PDA

View Full Version : Bosque on the First Day of Spring

Gayle Clement
03-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Work took me to New Mexico for a few days. This is a photo of the Bosque del Apache just before sunset on the first day of spring. I didn't have my tripod with me on this trip unfortunately.

Nikon D2Xs
Nikkor 24-120mm VR
ISO 200
1/25 s f/32
64mm

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Gayle,

You did well hand-holding here. I like the composition with the tree on the left balancing with the much larger mountain on the right. I would have preferred to see more of the FG in light and not shadow. Exposure is right on and the sky is very typical of sunset in NM - soft graduation in the tones. You could recrop a bit off the bottom as I have done. It lessens the dark FG which draws the eye but still maintains an anchor. I cropped just below the line of grass the diagonally enters the frame at left and levels out. This is a leading line and having it drop off out of the frame leads the eye out of the image.

David Kennedy
03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Robert that the foreground is, on the whole, somewhat because of the extreme shadows. Cropping as Robert has done definitely helps. I also wonder if decreasing the saturation of the foreground grasses would help? I know that the sun can make them pop like that, but I think it might actually be a bit overpowering for this image, as the eye needs a reason to rise above the foreground. Quite literally, I'm mired in the weeds!!! :)

Overall, good composition and nicely done for a hand held image.

Robert Amoruso
04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Good suggestion David on lower the contrast in the front.