PDA

View Full Version : Mozy warning

Jamie Strickland
02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Not sure if anyone else is using mozy online backup or not but they have changed their policy from unlimited to quite expensive if you go past their 125GB plan, mine is going from ~50USD per year to almost 400USD !

their FAQ here on the changes http://mozy.force.com/support/mozyhome?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MillinerLaunch-WayOver&utm_campaign=SpecialAnnouncements&ref=36b792db

you may not realize it but you probably have an auto renewing membership which means you will get dinged once your current plan goes from unlimited to the new style !

I am canceling mine, switched to crashplan where its 140USD for a 4 yr unlimited plan, and actually the interface is better than mozy ! and it actually works like it should. I had quite a few problems with Mozy, like the fact it would just randomly stop backing up or it would say I have 0MB of data when there was over 300GB. And on MAC you can do local disk backups which Mozy only had for PC.

here is a link to how to get a refund on your account for those that are interested http://mozy.custkb.com/mozy/app/selfservice/portalsearch.jsp?DocId=78627&ssdFilterCommunity10=0&Hilite=refund

there is a big thread in the mozy forums on the tons of unhappy people http://community.mozy.com/t5/My-Account/New-MozyHome-Plans/td-p/16007

So if anyone is using mozy I suggest you read the pricing plan changes before your plan expires ;)

my backup to crashplan should be done in about a month :)

John Chardine
02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Jamie- Backup programs are notoriously bad IMO. They lull you into a sense of false security by backing up but the rubber meets the road when you try to retrieve something from the backup. They usually fail at that point. I do like the idea of off-site backup but again, it is prudent to test retrieval before an investment is made.

I am a dyed in the wool Mac user since 1984 and the Time Machine backup system is worth the price of admission as far as I am concerned. I rotate a backup drive off-site but other than that it just does it's thing. And don't ask me how I know but retrieval of files or whole systems just works.

Jamie Strickland
02-12-2011, 07:55 PM
their restore worked no problem I tried all of that before I purchased it :)

I use time machine also for my whole machine, I could do the rotate the HD thing but i know I will get complacent with that and something will happen so I prefer to have it done automatically :) this backup is only for my pictures / other critical data ... although I already have 3 copies on 3 different raid systems at home anyway :) lol

John Chardine
02-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Sounds like you have all the bases covered Jamie! I must say I've never considered on-line backup, mainly because of the upload speeds. Also, I am not disciplined enough to choose the "make or break" images that I have to backup, which I would need to do to fit into an on-line setup. Instead I backup everything from a 3TB external to another 3TB drive which gets swopped out.