PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo Pines Sunset

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Would like to get your thoughts on this image, the sky was on fire , and i've never seen a Florida sunset like this and i'm a native!! Cropped a bit from the top. Some selective lighting of lower rocks, No HDR!
Used Sigh Ray Grad filet as well.
Camera Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1
Av( Aperture Value ) 22.0
Metering Mode Spot Metering
ISO Speed 200
Lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length 22.0mm

Valerio Tarone
02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Don
simply beatiful!

Don Lacy
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
This looks familiar:t3 looks like you followed my advice well :cheers: other then the hallo around the rocks everything else is spot on with nice a flow thru the image from the rocks to that wonderful sky. it was worth getting home late for this sunset.

Morkel Erasmus
02-12-2011, 01:14 PM
lovely composition, reflection, colours and mood here!
small nit noted by Don...makes me want to be there!

Chris Korman
02-12-2011, 01:16 PM
A nice capture, were you there on the same day that Don Lacy was? I like the lightened up rocks. The only thing I'd say is I'd prefer this as more of a perhaps a 4x5 horizontal crop, if you have more "canvas" to the left and right as I think a wider crop alludes more to the expanse of sky and water.

Dave Mills
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi Don, This image has all of the fine qualities of the previous image with the addition of more sky which adds more drama to the overall. Nicely handled!!

Andrew McLachlan
02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Very nicely captured Don, love the colors and the foreground rocks.

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Thks All, Yes Don and i camped for three days in Flamingo; it was simply awesome! We have several other images, and compositions , that developed as we watched in amazement as the sky burned with fire. I learned many valuable lessons from Don L. that weekend, the first and formost was, do not leave until it's pitch dark, or the freaking mosquito start to lift you off the ground :e3; as the light just kept getting better and better!:bg3:
Flamingo, offers everything for the photographer, from macro, too birds to Landscapes!!!
Don

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Don,
Halo mentioned.....but I and easy tweak and this turned out great! I like the way you can see the FG rocks under the water.....and the sky makes an amazing pattern! Don taught you correctly....even if the Fla state bird is biting you.....sit in the car and don't leave till 1/2 hour or so after sunset! Same goes for sunrise....1/2 hour before and sometimes even longer depending where you are! Really nice work!

Hilary Hann
02-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I thought the rocks looked familiar from the thumbnail! :t3

This is a beautiful, evocative landscape, sensitively handled. The glorious colour and the wispy clouds are to die for. Lots of interest for the viewer.

Robert Amoruso
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Don,

I got to this one after your second post. As you will note here, light to dark transition from left to right is much less extreme.

Vertical was definitely the preferred way though I still like the horizontal version too.

Art Kornienko
03-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Stunning indeed, super colours, I would have moved the horizon up a touch.