PDA

View Full Version : Pescadero, California

BillTyler
02-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Tonight the moon was half full. It provided enough illumination for a long exposure to show a good bit of the sea. Behind me and to my left was a flashing yellow sign indicating a construction zone. It provided some of the light on the rocks. The sky has been substantially darkened from the original exposure, as have some of the rocks, using a combination of Photoshop and Lightroom tools.

Nikon D300
30 sec, f/6.3
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 at 29mm
ISO 3200

Bill

Chris Korman
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Very dream like quality and also a bit painterly. Nice composition.

Dave Mills
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Bill, agree with Chris regarding the dreamlike quality. With the 30 sec exposure the water will get that soft,silky look which can be pleasing. I'm not quite sure why the rocks throughout the image are soft but at f6.3 that might be the cause or the camera shook slightly. Another possibility is your focus point.
Compositionally I might have shown more shoreline on the rt. I'm not quite sure I like the very bright light in the distance. No matter where I look my eye keeps ending up there.

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Bill,
I like the look of the water too but like Dave wonder about the distant lights on the horizon.....boats? I too would like a bit more shoreline and it is pretty cool how the construction lights painted some of the shoreline golden! I hope you get another opportunity at this as this looks like a great place to try these!

Hilary Hann
02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Agree with above comments regarding the beautiful quality of the water and the distracting quality of the bright light. Would have loved just a little more sharpness in the rocks.

Robert Amoruso
02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Very cool look to this image. I might suggest a tighter pano crop from the top and clone out the two small lights sources right on the horizon.