PDA

View Full Version : A tiny fly or bee.

Dave Leroy
02-11-2011, 08:54 PM
From Maui where my wife and I are spending a couple weeks.

This little fly was moving around the small flowers on clusters of small flowers. Photo was rotated 90 deg. and cropped a bit.

7D,100mm 1/160, f5.6, ISO400, HH

I was a bit surprised that the downsizing looses the matrix in the eye. I guess it makes sense considering how small the tiny eye and parts are.

Dave

bhavya joshi
02-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Wow... Dave , Eye are looking fantastic, I like Combination of flower and bee.
overall, Good shot..:c3:
But what is behind the bee, looking greenish small part.. Is that leaf??

Steve Maxson
02-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Dave. This is one of the Flower Flies (aka Hover Flies) (family Syrphidae). There are hundreds of species and they typically are mimics of bees and wasps. Good sharpness around the head and forewing. My personal preference would be for more DOF (but others will like this as presented as it really draws your attention to the fly's head) such that more of the fly and the central part of the flower were sharp - under the circumstances (hand holding at 1/160), this might have been hard to achieve without using flash. I like the even lighting, the colors on the fly and flowers, and the clean background. On my monitor, the image looks like it could be a little brighter overall - but be careful not to blow the whites on the face. :S3: I hope you're having a great time in Maui and that you will have more images to share.

Dave Leroy
02-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Bhavya for the nice comments. The greenish small part is actually the off wing reflecting some of the surrounding colours.

We are first timers Steve and really enjoying ourselves. There always seems to be a bit of a breeze blowing making macro a challenge.
I do have another of the Flower Fly with a preferred composition which I will try and post later. i also have a couple for the DLFC. Should be fun.

Dave

Ken Childs
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Dave, Steve covered this extremely well so I don't have anything to add other that to say just how jealous I am of where you are! I bet there are endless macro opportunities available there!

I'm waiting for your shot of a house gecko! :bg3:

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey Dave,
I'm not a tropical guy......but I love Hawaii! Been there a few times myself! Don't forget a few landscapes of the volcanoes!(had to add that....I am also the landscape mod!):w3 On my monitor.....the flower is bright enough but I may lighten the fly a bit. I think the comp works nicely....yeah more DOF for me as usual.....but it also works as presented! Don't forget to try a bit of fill flash if you get the opportunity! Nicely done overall!

Brendan Dozier
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Real nice Dave, and nice place to spend a couple of weeks!