PDA

View Full Version : Still stuck in winter

Steve Maxson
02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
We're still getting below-zero weather so the frost images are there for the taking. This one is a little different. The round "blobs" are where the sun melted the frost the previous day forming water drops on the glass. Overnight, these drops refroze and new crystals formed between them. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough DOF to get the blobs totally sharp - in retrospect, this would have been a good situation to try an image stack. 5D M2, MP-E 65 mm at 2X, 1.3 sec, f/11, ISO 100, tripod, focusing rail, mirror lock, cable release. RAW file PP in CS5, levels, curves, selective color. I removed many tiny specs from the glass to clean up the image and increased contrast and added black to darken the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jerry van Dijk
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Steve, very nice image! The 'blobs' add a nice compositional element. They remind me of little icy spiders. An image stack sounds like a great idea!

Norm Dulak
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Very nice Steve!

While the blobs add interest, the beauty for me lies mainly in the newly formed crystals. They look like crystals grown in a laboratory under carefully controlled conditions. And setting them off against a black background was a great idea.

Dave Leroy
02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Nicely done Steve and a ton of fine details showing off the crystals.

I really like just the hint of colour here and there.

Dave

Patrick Sparkman
02-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Very interesting forms. Like spiny lobsters! Nicely done.

Ken Childs
02-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Steve, I also thought of some sort of sea creatures when I saw but maybe something more like crystal brittle stars. Stacking images would definitely be something to try. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Whoa Steve!!!....yet another level! Ig you get the focus stack of this......could be off the charts!!! I know it doesn't compare......but Florida was in the 30's today......first time that I have been down here visiting that I have had frost on the car!

Kaushik Balakumar
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Amazing Steve, simply awesome !
The pattern in the crystals look great.

Chris Korman
02-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Wow, this is very nice. Very interesting order and patterns going on.