PDA

View Full Version : The Haunting

Nicki Gwynn Jones
02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
This was taken at Wakodahatchee Wetlands last December. The light was so low by this time that I decided to concentrate on in-camera blurs :S3:
1D3 300 f/2.8
f/16 1/10
ISO 640
Exp comp +2/3
Cropped to vertical and got rid of some OOF greenery at the bottom. Also cloned out an ugly shadow effect under the bill. The sky really was that colour :bg3:
I'd welcome any opinions on the title - I'm entering this for a competition - I find these birds quite spooky at the best of times :eek:
Warm regards to all,
Nicki

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Surreal and artistic...what I like is that we can make out that it is an Ibis. Pink color is very nice indeed.

Doug Brown
02-11-2011, 04:28 PM
At 1/10 sec, it definitely resembles a ghost-like apparition. The warm color of the sky looks great. I might crop just a little off the top.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
02-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Thank you Kaustubh and Doug :S3:

Chris Korman
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
To me this one is harder to discern, I am not sure about it. Your high key egret photo was quite emotive.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
02-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Chris, thanks so much for your honest appraisal - it is appreciated :S3:

Dan Brown
02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi Nicki! Great piece! Very artistic and up to your high standards! This does look ghostly, but I don't know if your title comes across? I will throw out a title for you to think about - "Apparition" or "Ibis apparition".

As for the texture of a ghost:2 I've never seen one myself but I am thinking that there might not be any sharp, hard edges. So, maybe you would want to soften the hard edges of the birds body?

Nicki Gwynn Jones
02-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Dan, great feedback! Actually, I made a list of possible titles and 'Apparition' was on that list!! 'Ibis Apparition' works really well I think. This works beautifully as a print, perhaps less so as a web presentation. I also have a set of three similar images which work as a panel.
Thanks so much Dan - great to hear from you :S3:

Dan Brown
02-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Dan, great feedback! Actually, I made a list of possible titles and 'Apparition' was on that list!! 'Ibis Apparition' works really well I think. This works beautifully as a print, perhaps less so as a web presentation. I also have a set of three similar images which work as a panel.
Thanks so much Dan - great to hear from you :S3:

Nicke, I figured that you had put much thought into this and your title seems to work better now that you mention a panel of three images! Three ghosts would add up to a HAUNTING:eek:!

PS, Doug and Gregg had another great CR trip! Wish I had been with them!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Dan, I guess that three would definitely qualify as a haunting :eek::bg3:
Wish I had been on the CR trip too - I'm longing to go back sometime, I have really wonderful memories of our time there :S3: