PDA

View Full Version : Black River Revisited

Andrew McLachlan
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Last weekend I was up in Ontario's Muskoka region co-leading a winter workshop and we visited this section of the Black River. My last post was from this same location. It was an overcast, dreary day, but the ice formations were very nice due to many cold nights at -30C. In fact, many of the waterfalls were virtually frozen over completely from this extremely cold weather.

Nikon D200
12-24mm @ 14mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 3 sec.
polarizer
2-stop grad filter

Look forward to comments.

Dave Mills
02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Andrew, Nicely composed with interest in all 3 key areas(forgnd,middle & back) Without some contrast in lighting it's not easy getting detail in the snow but you managed to pull some out.
The river is acting as a strong leading line taking the viewer to the dominant tree in the backround with
the tree on the far rt is acting as an anchor on that side. The sky has some interest with just enough of it showing. Well done!

BillTyler
02-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Hi Andrew,

I really like the composition and the mid-to-upper part of this image. The foreground snow is quite featureless, and I wish I could see a little detail there. The detail that I do see, on the right and left edges of the snow is just about right.

Bill

Morkel Erasmus
02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
the photo takes me into the scene Andrew, nicely composed and exposed
:w3

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey Andrew,
Really nicely done! I like all the shapes and textures as well as some nice detail in the sky. Maybe a slight halo on the tree edges.....but given the compression.....easy fix. Very nicely done!

Hilary Hann
02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I am always drawn to snowscapes and this is beautiful. I do find the fg patch of snow just a little too much for my tastes given the lack of detail but a lovely image none the less. :S3:

Robert Amoruso
02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Very interesting to see another interpretation of this same location. You did it well both times Andrew.

Don Lacy
02-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Lovely image Andrew it gives a nice sense of place and the viewers eye move nicely thru the image. I would be tempted to take a little of the bottom the dominance of the bottom patch of snow for the same reason Hilary mention.

Judy Howle
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
This is a lovely winter scene and I like your processing very much!