1/50s f/11.0 at 160.0mm iso320

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/790/mantide130a.jpg

bhavya joshi
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Hello carlo,

Nice image, really.. I like it . Keep going..:bg3:

Brendan Dozier
02-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Very nice composition Galliani with diagonal line of plant. Excellent detail on both plant & mantis, and like the complimentary green & purple colors on plant. Good contrast with soft blurred BG. Wondering if mantis could be sharpened just a tad more. Well done!

Ken Childs
02-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Carlo,

You captured a classic Mantis pose and you did a good job of doing it. The light looks good as does the BG although you might want to give a try at evening out some of the darker areas. The composition is also very nice but I would be curious to see how it looks with a small amount cropped from the left side. The one thing, IMO, that could have made this a great capture would have been if the Mantis was looking towards the camera. Sometimes you can wave at a Mantis to get its attention and make it look in your direction. Once you had taken a shot or two, it would have been worth a try to do something to get it to look at you. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
02-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey Carlo,
Great advice by Ken as I too hope he would have looked a bit toward you. Mantis usually don't scare easily.....so trying Ken's suggestion to get him to look at you is a great one to keep in mind when you are in the field.

kostas nianiopoulos
02-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Nice Job in everything here Carlo well done !!!

Steve Maxson
02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Carlo. The sharpness, DOF, light, and diagonal comp are all very well done! :cheers: I like Ken's suggestion of cropping a little off the left and evening out the darker areas of the background. I also agree with Ken and Roman that if the mantis had turned its head to look at you, you would have an outstanding image. Having said that, I also like this image with the mantis looking away as it leaves the viewer to wonder about what the mantis is looking at. :S3:

Galliani Carlo
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone for comments :S3:
I have several shots of mantis was lookink in camera but i love this shot

Jerry van Dijk
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi Carlo, very nice and crispy sharp image. I also like the composition with the diagonal grass flower and the vertical mantis. I do wish for a little more room between the antenna and the top of the frame. I also find the light a little bit harsh, but the image can take it. I second Ken's advice on the BG.

Dave Leroy
02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Very nice photo.

Interesting comments about mantis. we do not have them where i live so it is interesting.

I'm looking at a laptop in a bright room, but my first thought was a bit more contrast/sharpening of the mantis might be nice or adding a bit of black.

well done.

Dave

Ken Childs
02-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Very nice photo.

Interesting comments about mantis. we do not have them where i live so it is interesting.

I'm looking at a laptop in a bright room, but my first thought was a bit more contrast/sharpening of the mantis might be nice or adding a bit of black.

well done.

Dave
Dave, I've read that mantes have expanded their range into BC so while they may not be common, they're around. They are masters of camouflage so you have to be very lucky to find one.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4139/is_200712/ai_n21279234/

Dave Leroy
02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks Ken.

An interesting article. It looks like they are more wide spread than i had thought and not that far away. If they live south of Seattle then probably only a matter of time before they get to my area.

Dave