PDA

View Full Version : Male cardinal green BG

Joel Arrington
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Canon 40D, 1/100 @ f/7.1, aperture priority, ISO 250, FL 400mm, flash fill

Robert O'Toole
03-20-2008, 07:22 PM
This is a very sweet image. The pose, head angle and comp are good (would like to see the bird more to the left side of the frame though).

I do see a lot of processing problems, pixelation and posterization esp in the BG. Also it is a little too tight in the frame for me but thats just a preference.

Robert

Joel Arrington
03-21-2008, 04:28 AM
I don't see any of the processing problems you and others cite. With glasses, my close vision is pretty good. Do you enlarge small sections of the image to see them? Please distinguish between pixilation and posteriation. Are they both caused by the same processing error? What error? Almost every time I submit here, the image will not upload because it is slightly oversized. So I have to resize, save again and resubmit. I have wondered if that repeated save to disc causes what some see as undesirable processing phenomena. I have printed some of the images critics here have reported with problems and at 11x14 they are enirely free of any irregularities I can see at arm's length. I'm puzzled to solve on a problem I can't see. -J

Arthur Morris
03-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Joel, I am no expert on the causes but the experts sitting near me on the SW FLA IPT assure me that the consistent blobs in the BKGR are indeed posterization. If you cannot see these blobs, you need to visit your eye doctor. In addition, the reds are beyond grossly over-saturated. They are a bright detail-less enamel red. You need to apply the lessons learned previously.

later and love, artie

Axel Hildebrandt
03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
The pose and BG look really nice. As mentioned the bird could be further to the left in the frame, I can also see the posterization in the BG and the reds seem oversaturated on my monitor.