PDA

View Full Version : Everglades At Last Light

Don Lacy
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Image made at a small lake in the Everglades about 20 minutes after the sun had set. I am pretty happy with this but I am not sure if I pulled all there was out of the image from the comp to post processing. I do so little landscape work since going digital I would appreciate any and all comments on improvement.

40D, 17-55 f/2.8 EFS lens, 1s at f/16, Manual Mode, Spot Metered of sky then bracketed, ISO 200, Raw, Converted in ACR with digital grad filter, Small crop

Dave Mills
02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi Don, I feel you handled the technicals on this image very well. I can see some detail in the foreground rocks and under the water. The reflections of the clouds are adding some interest to the middle ground and are guiding the eye to the rear of the image. Beautiful color and detail in the sky with a well handled silhouetted far shoreline.Pleasing image!

Chris Korman
02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I like the image, room for improvement would be to illuminate/lighten the foreground rocks, alternatively you could darken them depending on your feelings.

Roman Kurywczak
02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey Don,
Stood there more than a few times myself:bg3:! You did very well with the clouds and how they don't touch the rocks so they add a nice flow to the image. From a technical standpoint.....I like that you can see the FG rocks under the water. Your eye sees the sky lighter than the water as a rule.....and while having the FG brighter doesn't bother me.....some find it unnatural.....so going a hair lighter on the sky and a bit darker on the water.....would make it a bit more natural. Just something to keep in mind if you try another PP version but this was handled very nicely!

Kaushik Balakumar
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Sky is mind-blowing with those lovely clouds and rich colours. Reflections look great and there's subtle but sufficient details in the FG.
Would agree with Roman here, regarding darkening of the water (in mid-strip of the image) to make it more natural.
Lovely image overall...

Don Lacy
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Here is an edited version with suggestions to lighten the sky and darken the middle area of water I left the rocks alone since I feel they anchor the image and I did not want to lessen their impact. Thanks everyone for your comments the difference between the images is subtle but is those subtle elements that make an image.

Chris Korman
02-10-2011, 08:18 PM
The tree line at the horizon is lighter, which is better.

Andrew McLachlan
02-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi Don, nicely done! I like the colors in the sky and you placed the elements in the scene in all the right places. Both posts work for me, but I think I prefer the first just a little more.

Robert Amoruso
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Don,

I am liking the repost.