PDA

View Full Version : Red Bellied Woodpecker

BarryNichols
02-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Okay, so this is my first post in here after signing up. I offer for critique this image of a Red-bellied Woodpecker taken last week in NorthEast Texas. He was attracted to this tree by suet inserts. Shot in raw and added levels adjustment and minor sharpening.
Let me have it :~)

Gary Esman
02-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Barry and welcome! Love watching these guys in the backyard. Exposure on the bird looks pretty good. I think the tree truck is a little distracting due to the size. You may want to crop a little tighter to reduce it. Also may want to clone out the 2 OOF leaf bunches on the right top and bottom TFS.

Craig Brelsford
02-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Barry, hi, I'm still a newcomer to this party and feel a little funny saying welcome, so how about, "Nice to see ya"? If you've gone to the trouble to insert suet, why not also prune out the extraneous branches in places where birds are likely to go? Agree also on cloning out the leaves jutting in from the right. Take out the leaves, cut off the branches, and the only thing left is the less than optimal angle of the woodpecker. Exposure is good, the red-bellied is a pretty backyard bird, and I like the falling snow.

Terry Olmsted
02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi Barry, and welcome! I agree with the comments above and would add that it would be helpful if
you would add the exif info; i.e. camera, lens, exposure data, etc.
I love woodpeckers and it's a pleasure to see your post.
Terry

Tom Rambaut
02-10-2011, 03:06 AM
I do like this image. The closest thing in terms of this species that we have over here are Treecreepers. They are to be found in similar poses on trees and have the stiffened tail feathers of the woodpeckers. Not related to my knowledge.

I'm new to this game also - but have learnt enough from the forum that the head angle here could be more towards the camera. I would clone out that tiny spec of leaf that is showing too the right, but the other leaf matter does not worry me.

Matthew Studebaker
02-10-2011, 08:38 AM
wow - I wasn't expecting a snowy image like this from your part of the country, but it really sets a mood here. Nice loose composition and profile pose.

BarryNichols
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I want to ask, so far as the comment "less than optimal angle of the woodpecker", would a complete profile me more desirable? Is there too much under leg area visible? Or does this refer to the head not tilted slightly toward the camera? Thanks again for the comments.