PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Waxwing VII (February Theme: Eye Level!)

Craig Brelsford
02-09-2011, 03:10 AM
I didn't have to crawl to get this shot, but it's worthy of this month's theme because it's only too easy to get the gimme shots of the waxwings high in the branches above. Waiting for them to fly down requires patience. The fruiting trees were near the entrance to a busy park in Shanghai. The many passers-by prevented the birds from coming low very often. When they did, however, this urban birder was ready.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 850mm (used 1.4x TC)
Aperture: F/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/800
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 640
Subject Distance: 7.9 m
Photoshoppery: Content-awared out a few branches. Bird untouched by cloning.

AlvanBuckley
02-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Great detail in the bird. I wish the white area in the top left background weren't so bright, I find it a little distracting that the head is between the dark and bright area. But that's just being picky. Good head angle.
TFS

Vivaldo Damilano
02-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Hi Craig, the fruits add nicely to the compositon, good sharp bird and smooth BG. I would tone down the lighter area upper left, as it does distract. Patience always pays off well done TFS :cheers:

Pieter de Waal
02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Nice capture Craig, lovely soft light, beautiful colours and good detail. Love the detail and markings on the head together with the open beak. Tend to agree with toning down the bright area.