PDA

View Full Version : Fisheating Creek

Cindy Cone
03-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Taken from my canoe at Fisheating Creek near Palmdale Florida. Canon Digital Rebel, 1/80, f/11, 28-135 mm at 28. This is the only camera I allow myself to take in my canoe since its lightweight and tips easily! I would have liked more depth of field but was having problems keeping the camera steady. All comments appreciated.

Robert O'Toole
03-20-2008, 07:32 PM
The root details are great and the lighting is nice.

I dont care for the right side of the image, the white patch detracts from the rest of the image. Did you shoot any vertical? Would like to see more of the branches, more of the subject tree.

Robert

Cindy Cone
03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your comments, Robert. No, I didn't get any verticals here. The current moved me along before I could play too much with composition. I love to try to get photos from the canoe, but there are disadvantages.

Alfred Forns
03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Excellent Cindy !! Agree on the right side not being in tune with the rest of the image Not sure if you were able but trying to obtain some reflections would have been great

I like the feel of the image Excellent detail and and you did capture the mood !!!

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Cindy,

When I first saw your image, I am immediately drawn to the roots and reflections. It is a strong graphical element. The right side of the image does not balance well with the roots. So I first cropped just the right side into a vertical image. Much stronger but I was still drawn to the roots. I then cropped down from the top some more and then again to yield to image below just concentrating on the roots and reflection. A vertical crop is the way to go here and you can experiment to suit your tastes.

I also did a local contrast enhancement (USM at amount 20, radius 60, threshold 4) and increased the gamma (brightness) in a levels adjustment.

I feel that any of the vertical crops with about the same wide as my crop will work well.

BTW: Creating this image in the soft light was the way to do. Colors are saturated and not bright highlights. Well done on the exposure.

Bret Edge
03-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I think Robert is on to something, though I would suggest leaving all the detail at the top of the image as well. Crop on the right side is just about perfect. Lovely detail and a very primeval scene.

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I think Robert is on to something, though I would suggest leaving all the detail at the top of the image as well. Crop on the right side is just about perfect. Lovely detail and a very primeval scene.

I agree Bret coming back to this and think this crop is better.

Cindy Cone
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the thought and work put into this one, Robert and Eric! It's been very helpful to me. It was the root system and reflection that drew my attention in the first place, put I just never played around too much with various cropping. The low water levels of this creek due to drought exposed much more of the root system than I had ever seen before. Again, thanks so much for opening my eyes to new possibilities with this image; I like the final crop the best.

Alfred Forns
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I like the second re-post The first lost all the feel Eliminating the right side did the trick Good going Robert !!!!

Paul Marcellini
03-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Another vote for the last crop. And if you want to emphasize the shapes, go bw.

Robert Amoruso
03-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Great idea Paul, this would be a good B&W image.