PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please - buy the "old" 500mm IS I now or wait prices to fall and buy the new 500mm IS II

Humberto Ramos
02-08-2011, 07:08 AM
I was thinking at the ending of February, to sell my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 to get some extra money to buy the Canon EF 500mm L IS I USM (to use it with my 7D,) I was thinking that the new 500mm IS II would be available only in 2012.

Arthur Morris said yesterday in other post that "Always good to live life now. All that any us are guaranteed is the next breath-and sometimes not even that.", which I agree, and normally try to live that way...

But I'm still having "Big problems inside my head", because I know the new 500mm is a "must", but the prices in Europe are completely "crazy" €10,799 ($14,667), I also Knowthat like Roy Churchill said to me in other post,"Once the lens is released, give it a few weeks and the price starts to fall"...

Normally I shoot small birds in a hide and shoot birds (ducks, grebe's and other aquatic birds) inside water, for now I don't do BIF.

Based up on your experience, what would be my best choice? Do you think I should buy the "older" 500mm or wait the prices to fall and buy the new one? What would be best choice for the future?
Do you think the old lens would maintain it's value (once I buy the lens, probably I would not be able to buy another for some years)?

Thanks and regards

Lana Hays
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Humberto
I doubt that the prices on the new lenses will go down any time soon (if ever).....once they come out. Buy what you can afford....and what you need. You might buy a good used 500mm for now. You could always sell it when the new lens was available and you were ready to buy again.

Humberto Ramos
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Humberto
I doubt that the prices on the new lenses will go down any time soon (if ever).....once they come out. Buy what you can afford....and what you need. You might buy a good used 500mm for now. You could always sell it when the new lens was available and you were ready to buy again.

In US I dont know, but in Europe I do believe prices will fall...
Abot the used 500mm, that's an option I've considered, but I can't, at least for now, find any used 500mm f/4 in Europe...

Does anyone here have any for selling? :)

Maybe Arthur Morris wants to sell his 500... ;)

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Try Fred Miranda. There was one recently and a few do turn up. I bet many will be selling soon anyway. What people forget is that gear does not make them better photographers. A 500mm f/4L IS lens (old one) is a superb piece of glass as it is. Will do just as well as the new, improved version.

David Stephens
02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
A weight loss of 1.5 lbs would be appreciated, along with better IS, but I doubt that I'll upgrade. I think my Series I will surely hold its value well, given the huge price difference. Not that it'll be any cheaper, but now I'll wait to see the 200-400mm f/4L IS +1.4x. That'll shed some weight and cover a very useful range of focal lengths.

I was thinking of a 300mm f/2.8L IS, but now I think I'll just sit tight. A year of hand holding my 500mm and I'm finally starting to get pretty good at it, so I'm well equipped to wait another year or so...

Pedro Serralheiro
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
If you wait you'll miss lots of fun and lots of photos.
If you can buy it now, buy it. These type of lenses are never a bad option :w3

Ed Cordes
02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I love my 500 f4 IS I. I am sure the new version, being more modern will have many advantages. however, the real question is for the price of an upgrade will the advantages be worth it? As many have said the lens is super as is and images are made by photographers not lenses. I'll keep mine until it dies then upgrade.

David Stephens
02-08-2011, 10:39 PM
...As many have said the lens is super as is and images are made by photographers not lenses. ..

I'm getting tired of that old saw excuse for not buying. The real reason for most of us not upgrading is that it's expensive. Even the greatest photographer could benefit from 1.5 lb less weight, faster AF with the TCs and a stop or two more effective IS. I can already imagine my handholding keeper rate going up substantially. I think that the improvements are very real.

One good thing about the geometric price increase is that our old Series I should hold their value very well indeed. At least now that we've paid entry into the club we're mainly looking at incremental cost and not the whole enchilada. :eek:

Desmond Chan
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm getting tired of that old saw excuse for not buying

You mean the "excuse" 'it's the photographer not the lens' ?

But it's true though.

Then again, it's your money. Buy whichever one you want. Don't let anybody stop you :w3

By the way, 1.5lb difference is nothing :5:cheers:

Don Railton
02-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Hello Humberto

I bought a 500 series 1 last October. I knew a new 500 lens was on its way but I decided to go ahead with my purchase anyway. Now the new lens is here I dont regret buying it one bit and I am continually amazed at the capability of the lens, especially when compared with the users ability. I suggest if you have to mind your cash like me, that you buy a new or used series 1 lens and learn how to use that and step up to the series 2 if needed later on. I am sure you will be more than happy with your purchase..

DON

Pao Dolina
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
But I'm still having "Big problems inside my head", because I know the new 500mm is a "must", but the prices in Europe are completely "crazy" €10,799 ($14,667), I also Knowthat like Roy Churchill said to me in other post,"Once the lens is released, give it a few weeks and the price starts to fall"...
How much is a plane ticket to say New York? Cause the 800mm IS is $12,350 at BH Photo. ;)

No risk of it being replaced by a Mark 2 lens in the next 10 or so years.

David Stephens
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
...By the way, 1.5lb difference is nothing :5:cheers:

Spoken as if you don't hand hold your 500mm very much. Try staying focused on a raptor for 20-minutes, waiting for it to hunt. For those that hand hold, the 1.5 lb and steadier IS are pretty big events. If the AF is faster with the S-III TCs, then that's another big point.

One great thing about the series I is that it has really done a great job of developing my left arm strength. :cheers:

Desmond Chan
02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Spoken as if you don't hand hold your 500mm very much.

You're a funny man, David :w3:bg3::t3:t3