Av( Aperture Value ) 22.0
Metering Mode Spot Metering
ISO Speed 200
Lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length 20.0mm

Roman Kurywczak
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey Don,
I know that tree!:bg3: I think you handled the comp pretty nicely.....but clipping the tip of those branches is a no/no for my tastes. Opening up to 18 would have done the trick......but as is you could also digitally erase them and then it would be fine. at that f-stop......I wonder if repositioning slightly would have given you the sunburst......just something to keep in mind because many times it is just a few inches........but overall........this turned out very nicely!

Dave Mills
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Don, technically you handled the image well. The tree acts as a nice center of interest and I can see some detail in it's roots. Not sure if I like the suns positioning and was wondering if you tried different placements. For my taste the tree is a bit tight in the frame. Also wondering if you backed off and showed the tree a bit smaller with more of it's environment. If possible it's always a plus when you can work a subject and create various compositions...

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Don, good comments from Dave and Roman that I agree with. I am not happy with the sun's location and feel a stronger composition with the sun is lurking in this scene.

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Thks Gentlemen, i guess i'm going to stick with birds!!! :t3 Don

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Same specs.. Jut curious what you think.. And PS.. i'm just kidding Above.. :eek:
Don

Dave Mills
02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Don, I keep going back and forth between the two. I like the overall lighting better in the first along with more space on the left with the silhouette better defined. In the repost I like the fact the top branches aren't clipped and the sun is more visible. Would have preferred the sun not clipping the branch. IMO both have their plusses and minuses...

Roman Kurywczak
02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey Don,
I'm leaning with repost....but Dave brought up some great points!

Don Lacy
02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Don I like the repost better with the extra space for the mangrove like Dave would have preferred the sun not blocked by the brach and would have been even better if you had position it in between the V just left of were you have it now.

Morkel Erasmus
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
interesting take on the mangrove - I prefer the overall feel of the OP but the clipped branches also detract for me there

BillTyler
02-12-2011, 02:10 AM
I like the non-clipped branches in the 2nd image. I wonder what it would look like if the camera were positioned so the sun was completely behind the trunk, so that what you'd see is just that beautiful golden light without a point source.

Bill