Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 105mm
Manual mode
6"
F22
ISO 200
Tripod
LR and CS3
BG is black form core.

No fresh flowers on the property so I grabbed one of the few remaining dead goldenrod flowers in the pasture and brought it into the warmth of my basement office, surrounded it with a bunch of candles and this is the result. Cropped, sharpened with high pass.

The daffodils are up but looking at the forecast, I'm not hopeful that they'll be blooming before the end of the month. :-(

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Really creative lighting! Love the warm glow it gives to these goldenrod flowers. Wonderful idea. I wish the center fronds were not quite so bright, but I'm not sure why I think that. Goldenrod are great subjects year round.

Norm Dulak
02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Ken.

It's good to see that the first DLFC entry is yours, and it is very interesting. The candlelight produced the interesting effect of making the high points on the flowers catch the light and almost seem to glow, while leaving the lower points more subdued.

Beyond that, I like the general orientation of the flower with its angled stem, and the strongly contrasting black background.

Well done.

Norm

Allen Sparks
02-05-2011, 07:01 PM
very well done Ken...I like the lighting very much too. I also like the stem coming in at bottom left and the dried flowers drooping to the right... very nice image

Jerry van Dijk
02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi Ken, nice light and creative thinking! The image looks a bit soft, but maybe that's just the fluffiness of the goldenrod flowers.

Roman Kurywczak
02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey Ken,
Now that's what I'm talking about! I think another round of USM is in order.......and I might even toy with Anita's idea of burning in a few areas......just to give even more depth.....but hte candlelight worked out great! Great inspiration and way to get the challenge off on the right foot!

Steve Maxson
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Ken. You certainly have gotten the challenge off to a great start! The lighting is, indeed, dramatic, the subject is interesting, and the comp is just right. I don't think I've ever seen a dead goldenrod look this good. :S3:

Adrian David
02-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Great idea with the candles! Really like the light you got there.I, also think that a bit more sharpening will help.

Julie Kenward
02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
You really brought out the beauty of the goldenrod with the use of the warm candles, Ken! Great OOTB thinking on this one!