PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Paperwhites

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 06:32 AM
A sign of spring, indoors! Forced Paperwhites.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f45 (relative or effective), .60 sec., ISO 125. Taken indoors with window light. PP in Elements 7 and PS7, basic adjustments, plus High Pass sharpening, Accented Edges and Correct Camera Distortion to make lower part of plant a bit narrower.

C&C always welcome.

Dave Woeller
02-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Anita, I love the simplicity of this. I also love how the shades of green fade as the plant reaches into the light. Very pleasing

Roman Kurywczak
02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Anita,
The simplicity and beauty of hte flower really does come through! I can't belie I am about to say this:bg3:.....but a smidge more rom top and left would help. I am not familiar with the species.....but could you prune the top bloom?.........or would that make it unnantural???.....reaon I ask, is that I absolutely love the lines, colors, shapes in that compact area.......so if it won't kill the bloom......just giving you an idea! That being said......this is wonderful!

Gary Hamilton
02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Beautiful image, Anita. Lighting is perfect--did you also use a reflector opposite the window light? I agree that a bit more room at top and left would help. I'd also like to see a version of this in black and white given all those subtle differences in tone. Very well done, as usual.

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I added some space to top and left as suggested and it is an improvement. Thanks for the suggestion.

I see what Roman means about removing the top blossom. It is a good idea, but too late, the flowers have opened completely. Will remember this for the future.

Thank you!

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Beautiful image, Anita. Lighting is perfect--did you also use a reflector opposite the window light? I agree that a bit more room at top and left would help. I'd also like to see a version of this in black and white given all those subtle differences in tone. Very well done, as usual.

Thanks!
Yes, I used a foam board on the right, with window light coming in from the left. On some shots I also used a small gold reflector on the front left, but can't remember if this was one of them. Here is a photo of my little "studio" set up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34370937@N07/3378921738/
Cat is optional.

Gary Hamilton
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks!
Yes, I used a foam board on the right, with window light coming in from the left. On some shots I also used a small gold reflector on the front left, but can't remember if this was one of them. Here is a photo of my little "studio" set up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34370937@N07/3378921738/
Cat is optional.

Nice big windows in your "studio." It just goes to show you how a simple set up can yield great results. I see how you have folded the foam board--I'll have to try it that way once I get my hands on some new flowers. Sorry, no pets in our house . . . yet. We are getting a labradoodle puppy in May (litter due on 2/21), so he or she might show up as my new avatar before too long!

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Nice big windows in your "studio." It just goes to show you how a simple set up can yield great results. I see how you have folded the foam board--I'll have to try it that way once I get my hands on some new flowers. Sorry, no pets in our house . . . yet. We are getting a labradoodle puppy in May (litter due on 2/21), so he or she might show up as my new avatar before too long!

I didn't fold the foam board. I hinged two foam boards together using masking tape. A labradoodle sounds like lots of fun!!

Jerry van Dijk
02-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Anita, another wonderful flower from your 'studio'! I agree with Roman that a little more room would be nice. As always, details and light are gorgeous.

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi Anita, another wonderful flower from your 'studio'! I agree with Roman that a little more room would be nice. As always, details and light are gorgeous.

Thank you!!

Ken Childs
02-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey Anita, the light is wonderful in this as is the comp. I see what Roman means about the flower itself but it looks great as is to me!

Your setup looks pretty much like mine, including the cat! :bg3:

Anita Bower
02-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey Anita, the light is wonderful in this as is the comp. I see what Roman means about the flower itself but it looks great as is to me!

Your setup looks pretty much like mine, including the cat! :bg3:

Thanks, Ken! The cat makes all the difference!!

Steve Maxson
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Anita. Nice studio and I agree - the cat really sets it off. :bg3: I love the soft light and the subtle shades of green. In contrast to some of the other folks, I'm wondering what this would look like with a little more room at the bottom - though, as I'm not familiar with this plant, maybe that wouldn't be an improvement. :2 In either case, the OP is very well done. :cheers:

Anita Bower
02-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Anita. Nice studio and I agree - the cat really sets it off. :bg3: I love the soft light and the subtle shades of green. In contrast to some of the other folks, I'm wondering what this would look like with a little more room at the bottom - though, as I'm not familiar with this plant, maybe that wouldn't be an improvement. :2 In either case, the OP is very well done. :cheers:

Thanks, Steve. The bottom part of the stem just gets broader, and I liked it better cropped this way.

kostas nianiopoulos
02-11-2011, 10:12 AM
simplicity and verry nice color , well done Anita !!!