PDA

View Full Version : Doum Palm

Hilary Hann
02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I spent quite a bit of time shooting trees on my last safari, this one is a doum palm from Meru National Park, Kenya.
Full Frame; 5Dmk2; 24-105 @ 76; 1/320; f5; ISO200
I hope no noise this time. :bg3:

Dave Mills
02-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Hilary,beautiful light which is always a key element. I like the fact the trees base is offset and the 3 trunks are not merging. The sky is soft,has some interest and is appealing. Another option might be to take a small bit more off the right since even though the trunk is offset the branches are bending towards the center.

Roman Kurywczak
02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
HI Hilary,
The curve of the palm trunk is very nice as is the light! It does appear that there is an intersection of the tunk on the right 2?..........still not sure repositioning wouldn't have cause a merge then on the left one......so works as presented. I agree with Dave on another possibility being to takin some off the right......to off center the comp and place the palms more on the ROT position......but as presented doesn't bother me too much. This was probably the typical situation where you couldn't get out of the vehicle for an even lower perspective??? I'm betting yes, so you did as well as you could with the scene......and it turned out nicely!

Hilary Hann
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks to you both for helpful suggestions. I'll try the cropping suggestions.

Roman, you are right, no getting out of the car sadly.

Kaushik Balakumar
02-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Loved the warm light on the trees. The curving tree adds a lot of aesthetic sense to the image.
Beautiful !

Hilary Hann
02-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks Kaushik, I'm going to try the crops proposed above … at some stage!

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I like e curved tree and e light is fantastic. I would crop more off the right as that will and more impact to the image de-centralizing the trees.

Hilary Hann
02-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Robert.