PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Ft. Desoto

allanrube
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Last evening. D3X with 16-35 f/4. Made from 5 shots run through Photomatix Pro and then pp in PS. f/9 iso 100.

I shoot birds most of the time and have a sense of what I like. With a shot like this, however, I am more open than usual to suggestions and help as I am not sure what I am doing. What is good, what is bad?

http://www.allanrube.com/photos/1177280175_hWyJm-X3.jpg

Dave Mills
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Allan.Good use of HDR. Dramatic sunset with the clouds nicely layered. I like the fact that you offset the sun with just enough sand to act as a foreground. I might do a contrast adj on the image to give the sky a bit more definition and dimension(not alot). This image would also work well as a pano being another option...

Roman Kurywczak
02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey Allan,

I think you did well with the HDR but for me the FG is a touch bright and takes away from the comp. Given the 5 shots ......I am betting that this was on the tripod, so I will offer a suggestion to try: you didn't post the SS.....and I want to discuss that as it is a fine line.....especially when clouds are involved.....a slow SS would allow the waves to be silky and not as choppy......so going to f16 or f22 may give you enough.....want more silkiness....pop on the polariser for an even slower SS. Here is the fine line.......clouds move.....but at varying speeds......so if they aren't moving fast/at all....you can go really slow and still get a good looking HDR.....faster and you have to up the SS. Another option I highly recommend and one I use.....is the Darryl Bensen reverse grad ND filter.....perfect for seascapes of this type! It would have opened up the shadows, yet allowed you to use a relatively low SS and capture every detail in one frame. This filter works great where there is a relatively straight horizon and has the sun low on it. Just some more options for you to explore.

allanrube
02-04-2011, 01:33 PM
ISO was 100, aperture was f/9 - the ss changed for each shot. 1/8, 1/15, 1/30. 1/160. 1/125.

Roman, will try adjusting the foreground.

Dave, I agree.

allanrube
02-04-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.allanrube.com/photos/1177518622_DHyHG-X3.jpg

Dave Mills
02-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Nice job Allen! The image has more impact....

Hilary Hann
02-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Some great suggestions the rest of us can take on board. Beautiful image, very evocative.

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice looking repost Allan.

I am very much in the camp of silky water look using low shutter speeds. If the close are not moving as Roman mentioned her will look good but I generally like the moving look they get in an her so try it anyway.

Split ND filter great option as roman mentioned. I also do two exposures. One fast and exposured correctly for the sky and only slow and exposure correctly for the water. Layer in PS and using masks to reveal what needs to be revealed. Real easy with a straight horizon.

allanrube
02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Robert, I will follow your advise the next time I shoot sun rise/sets. Thanks.

Andrew McLachlan
02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi Alan, a little late getting around to this one, but I love the colors in the sky. I prefer the foreground in the repost. Agree that silky water would have been a bonus. Nice work!