PDA

View Full Version : Mallard

Bruce Gove
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I made this image with the Cannon 30D with the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 attached - hand held. As you can see, the bird is turned too far to the left - waited too long. I added a little fill light in LR, converted to PS. Cropped about 50%, sized and sharpened. All comments greatly appreciated as allways.

FL 400mm, 1/640 @5.6 ISO 200 EV0

today my new 1D III arrives - haven't been this excited since I was a kid!! I just decided I needed a pro body, and I can sort of afford it so I went for it. I know there is a learning curve, but I've got Artie's PDF on the Mark III, the manual from cannon and many folks here to help me out.

Cheeers,

Bruce Gove

Gus Cobos
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Bruce,
Very nice Mallard, love the color of the water...:D

Gus...:cool:

Alfred Forns
03-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Bruce Big Congrats on the new camera !!! You will like it Lots of advantages !!!!

I like this image a lot Since you did crop might consider going back and cropping a little different Try cropping into more of a pano showing more of the wake As presented don't need as much room on the bottom While shooting try using a sensor other than the one in the middle. Will allow you frame the duck in the frame

Also with these guys you need to catch the light just right to have the head Illuminated !!!!

Bruce Gove
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks Alfred - I had a little trouble with the cropping - nothing I tried looked good to me. seems like what works for some images doesn't work for others. I'll try your suggestion. On my 30D, I wound up using just the center sensor because I had trouble getting sharp images with all of them set. That probably isn't a good plan!

Thanks for your time

Bruce