PDA

View Full Version : NHO takeoff

Todd Frost
02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Captured yesterday, not great light but lots of action. This is FF.
D300, 400 w/1.4tc, 1/1000, f4, iso 1600, meetered manually +1 2/3
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Daniel Cadieux
02-03-2011, 07:56 PM
That is impressive for FF. I love the dynamic pose, and despite the "not great light" you had enough SS to freeze the action. BTW I personally love overcast light:c3:

I'm OK with your comp as is but decided to have fun since the clean white sky is easy to work with for extending the canvas, which I did left and bottom to give the owl more room to "drop" into, then cropped top and right to minimize the perch. I also added a bit of magenta in "Color Balance". Just an option, hope you like!

P.S. The lower right in my version needs more work, but you get the gist...

Todd Frost
02-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Daniel. Was going to mention the need for more room as you have done here, but forgot :e3. I agree with this type of image a canvas extension and content aware scale can do wonders. When I go to print I will definetly do the extension.
Thanks again.
ps. have you had any more opps with your NHO?
Todd

Daniel Cadieux
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
You're welcome Todd.

I haven't had the time to photograph the NHO found up my way since. I'm heading to Florida next week but when I return I shall make the effort to revisit this boreal beauty - if past trends hold true it should remain here for another 4-5 weeks before heading back north.

Randy Stout
02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Todd:

Great sense of him exploding out of the tree, very dynamic.
Daniel made good points and tweaks.

Hope to see more!

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
This is a very unique capture and pose, for me at least. I like Daniel's slight crop adjustment b/c it gives more power to the subject and it's behavior. Looking forward to seeing more.

OvidiuCavasdan
02-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Very nice action well captured! I like Daniel's repost. Just thinking about cleaning the oof twig low right and the tip of the twig at left near the upper edge of the frame...