PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel

Don Thompson
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Taken last May on Sanibel Island. Canon 40D with 100-400mm f/4-5.6. ISO 400, f/9, 1/1250, +.67 EC

Interested in all comment but particularly the crop. Thank you.

http://www.pbase.com/flyfishertoo/image/132258748/original.jpg

John Chardine
02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi Don- I like the crop- the OOF bird is tucked away at the back and does not dominate. The birds have enough room IMO. You could shave some off the bottom and make it more of a pano crop. There is a lot of OOF sand down there. I like the low angle you have. The exposure looks great. I would lighten up that dark UL corner.

Now regarding the B/W conversion I would be interested to know why you did this. I am trying to imagine the beautiful warm tones of the sand and the birds.

By the way this is a good shorebird quiz bird. I haven't got the foggiest what they are.

Don Thompson
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank John. I will repost the color version tomorrow.

I certainly am not one to id birds, particularly shorebirds, but I believe it is a Sanderling.

Dave Leroy
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I like it and don't mind the b/w version. Something a bit different. It will be interesting to see the colour version.

Composition looks good. The angle of the oof bird seems to lead back to in focus bird so works for me.

If mine I would leave a sliver of oof sand at bottom and may also look at some off the top.

The texture of sand shows very well in b/w.

Well done.

Dave

John Chardine
02-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Thank John. I will repost the color version tomorrow.

I certainly am not one to id birds, particularly shorebirds, but I believe it is a Sanderling.

Look forward to seeing it. It will be a treat to see a Sanderling in breeding plumage in colour!

Don Thompson
02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
A color version as requested.

http://www.pbase.com/flyfishertoo/image/132275383/original.jpg

And a Pano version.

http://www.pbase.com/flyfishertoo/image/132275152/original.jpg

Dave Leroy
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Lovely photo and John was right. The colour version does have great and complimentary colours.

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of leveling based on oof sand line, recropping to my thoughts and another round of SS at 120,.2,0. I am not sure but there may be a bit of a sharpening halo on top of Sanderling. It would be an easy fix with a clone brush if its there.

Perhaps a bit more space on left and/or less on right for me on this repost.

You have a very nice photo and thanks for reposting.

Dave

Peter Farrell
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Don, I like both the B&W and color versions. And I like Dab=ves crop the best.
Peter

Don Thompson
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Lovely photo and John was right. The colour version does have great and complimentary colours.

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of leveling based on oof sand line, recropping to my thoughts and another round of SS at 120,.2,0. I am not sure but there may be a bit of a sharpening halo on top of Sanderling. It would be an easy fix with a clone brush if its there.

Perhaps a bit more space on left and/or less on right for me on this repost.

You have a very nice photo and thanks for reposting.

Dave

I don't mind mind at all and I agree, your crop is better. I don't see the halo. Is it on my post or your repost? Thanks for your input. Constructive input is always appreciated.

And thank you John and Peter.