PDA

View Full Version : Grey Headed Gull

Jonathan Ashton
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Canon 7D Canon 500 f4 L IS ISO 400-0.67 1/1250 sec f6.3

All comments welcome.

Paul Guris
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice light. Although the bird is looking over its shoulder, I think I'd still crop harder on the left and open up to the right.

Jonathan Ashton
02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks Paul I did consider that crop but his head is looking over to the left.

Paul Guris
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks Paul I did consider that crop but his head is looking over to the left.

I guess it's which part of the bird takes priority. For me it would be the direction of the body, for you it's the direction of the head. I might even agree if the bird was actually staring to the left, but it seems to be preening instead. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of more experienced folks than myself ... which is most of BPN's members.

Marina Scarr
02-02-2011, 11:37 PM
You have nice light here and a willing subject, although his head looks a big mangy. :w3 I think you need a slighly tighter crop. I would crop from below to above the bottom shadow thereby eliminating that shadow which I find distracting. I would also then take a bit off the right side of the canvas. This would give your bird a little more strength in the frame.

Thank you for sharing.

Paul Guris
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I would also then take a bit off the right side of the canvas. This would give your bird a little more strength in the frame.

FMI, did you really mean "right side of the canvas?" It seems that the result would be a bird so tightly cropped that if it turned it was able to turn its head, its bill would hang out of the frame.