PDA

View Full Version : Gathering storm

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Masai Mara, just before sunset and a large storm was moving in. I liked the 3 trees silhouetted against the bright big of sky left. I have left the texture layer rough on purpose as I'm trying to accentuate the rough weather and give depth, but am happy to post the image without the texture filter as comparison.
Full frame, hand held.
5Dmk2; 24-105mm @ 105; ISO1600; 1/250; f5

PP - Inverse luminosity layer, silver efex then blended on 60%, noise ninja, slight texture layer

Any C&C welcomed.

dankearl
02-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Nice image, but the iso1600 kills it for me. It is really noisy on my monitor and the colors are off.
I would re-process it if you can, soften it, and try to correct the color distortion.

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 01:21 AM
OK, I'll give it another go. The noise is coming from the Nik silver conversion so I'll try another approach.

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 02:19 AM
This is the re-post but I have to say it no longer gives the mood I'm after and I find that I prefer the noise (pseudo-grain and texture) of my OP so I think I'll leave this one and move onto the next landscape. :e3

Grant Atkinson
02-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Hi Hilary, this is a superb composition, and either post could go straight onto my wall. The OP does look more dramatic, and the apparent noise created by the conversion may well be the effect you were looking for. What I did notice on my monitor is that there appears to be a colour pattern or banding effect which I see most prominent on the OP between the bottom of the clouds and the line of the horizon, as well as in the middle of the clouds themselves. The colour pattern is a bit distracting. It isnt visible at all in the second post. I definitely wouldn't give up with this one, you have gotten the hard part right:S3:
cheers
Grant

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks Grant, the banding I see also on the posted image. Easy to remove so I will re-post the OP without the banding and see how it looks and which people prefer and why. Always helpful to concentrate the mind! :S3:

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 04:33 AM
I think I prefer this offering out of the three posted. Interested in what others think.

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Hilary,

I like the third one best. The OP was just too blotchy and did not really look like film grain (that I think can work). That is correct here. I like the road (?) as a leading line and three trees symmetrically placed in the image work to balance the heavy dramatic sky.

I would like to see a straight up image as well if you have the time.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey Hilary,
Last repost works best for me too. I'm not in love with the grain .....and I usually don't mind it.....but it would be interesting to see an original but remember.....you can take the B&W and make it go in many directions. I think the comp works very nicely overall.

Dave Mills
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi Hilary, After viewing all 3 images I'm also leaning towards the last post. I'm not really a big fan of grain and only like it under certain conditions but in this case would of preferred it without.
However, I do like the simple but effective comp.
The image emits alot of messages to viewers. The vastness of the plains and the strength of nature.If this were mine I might take a small bit off the rt. In this case I like the trees centered...

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Thank you Robert, Roman & Dave. I have attached the original unprocessed raw image here. Any suggestions as to how I would process it with better results will be gratefully received, however I realise that the high ISO is a killer.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey Hilary,
Thanks! Will give it a shot tomorrow! I often shoot at ISO6400.......so not afraid of a bit of noise!

dankearl
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
After seeing the original, I have to wonder why you are trying to turn it into something it is not?
I would just add some contrast to the clouds and call it good.
It is a nice image, not earth shattering, but fine.
It was not a menacing storm day, why try to make it so?
Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
A lot of effort for minimal results, I do it all the time, look back and wonder why?

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Dan, thanks for the opinion. That's the problem … it was a menacing storm.

I find that the challenge of images like this helps me learn new PP techniques and also reinforces some things I should and shouldn't do next time. So I will always attempt to get the most out of any image if I took it for a reason. I find it the best way to learn and if I was in the fortunate position of only posting 'perfectly exposed' and 'perfectly processed' images I probably wouldn't increase my knowledge or learn how to cope with the inevitable less perfect captures.

It is always the issue when posting the raw, unprocessed file and normally I would never, ever do this on an open forum, however, I trust the landscape moderators not to ridicule anyone's image and to offer constructive advice for growth and improvement. They are a wealth of knowledge.

I hope that explains why I have posted this. :S3:

Roman, I look forward to your results.

dankearl
02-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Hilary, I am really sorry if you thought I was ridiculing your image. Far from it, I think it is good and worth posting and discussing.
I am sorry if I left a wrong impression.

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Dan, I didn't think you were ridiculing it per se, I was just saying that the landscape moderators always manage to help photographers through their image processing without any ridicule. I was also trying to explain why it is important for us to post some of our more challenging images at times, not just our best ones, so that we can learn from some of the amazing, talented members here. No hard feelings from me. :S3:

Daniel Bailey
02-03-2011, 09:57 AM
I like the third post. I am usually not a huge fan of noise but I see your points. I think it also gives a vintage look. Definitely a wall hanger! Congrats

Roman Kurywczak
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Hilary,
Here's my take on it! Not thrilled with the FG......but 25 b/c or lavels layers and a few selective color ones......this will show you another possiblity. Used noise ninja to remove some grain....could have gone more agressive to remove the rest. No need to fear ISO 1600

Hilary Hann
02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Roman, you have given me plenty to think about. I do think the composition deserves more attention so I will put it aside for a few days, then return and try another go at processing. If I get something better I'll re-post in a new thread. I really, really appreciate ALL the feedback as it is very helpful and as my signature says "clarity in thought comes after challenge". :t3

Andrew McLachlan
02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Hilary, a little late to the party, but here is my take on the image. Used Nik's Viveza and Tonal Contrast to achieve this result. I did not run any noise reduction, just wanted to do a quick tweaking to give you other options. I have found with images of mine that are similar to what you shot here, I can achieve a very dramatic look to the storm clouds by using the black slider in ACR. A nicely captured and well composed scene!

Hilary Hann
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Andrew, I hadn't thought of using Viveza and will look at that also, when I return to the image processing. So much to consider and I appreciate your view. Nice tone you've managed to show in the clouds.

Chris Korman
02-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Hilary, I personally found the first image (Pane 1) to be the most interesting, I like the texture to it, it is a very painterly, you should consider printing it out to matte paper. The three lone trees add the needed balance against the harsh sky. And the sliver of the silver stream winding it ways through the image is very good too.