PDA

View Full Version : More Frost

Steve Maxson
02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
We've been having more below-zero weather here so there have been new frost crystals to photograph. 5D M2, MP-E 65 mm at 3X, 1 sec, f/10, ISO 100, tripod, focusing rail, mirror lock, cable release. RAW file PP in CS5 - levels, curves, saturation. I increased contrast to darken the background and removed a number of tiny specs from the glass. This is cropped to about 40% of the original - just where to crop is always the question with these images. There is so much detail in the image that I had to save it at a quality setting of only 53 to get under the 200 KB limit. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Ken Childs
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Another amazing shot, Steve! Those brownish areas are giving me trouble, though. If you were going for something different and want it that way, that's cool but if you don't, one click of the curves black point eyedropper should change it all to black.

You really should take some of these over to the OOTB forum. They have great potential for creative edits! :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Very nice Steve!!! Because of the comp patterns.....this one may be the strongest of the bunch!

Julie Kenward
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I love it! If it were mine, though, I'd flip it 180 degrees so the bottom right corner was at the top since it appears to have the least "weight" to it.

Marina Scarr
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Had to come over and take a peak at your snowflakes. I love what you have done here, Steve. I ALMOST wish that we had snow here so that I could try some of this...almost being the operative word.

I don't know much about macro, but I like the design and colors very much. The brownish colors doesn't bother me b/c it gives it depth and a little variation.

I'll have to take a look at your others!

Jerry van Dijk
02-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Hey Steve, again a wonderful closeup of these crystals. Something really special to look at, but I think you can still gain some strength on the composition. You might try a landscape photography approach: stop thinking about the crystals as subjects to be positioned in the frame, but instead start looking for planes, lines and angles.

Grady Weed
03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
What else can be said. Excellent use of creativity here. Love the fine crystal details. However I am ready for spring. :c3: