PDA

View Full Version : 7.33am

cjmchch
03-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Titled as such to reflect the time the shot was taken. Sunrise at Sumner Beach, Christchurch, New Zealand this morning.

Robert Amoruso
03-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Hi and welcome to BPN.

You certainly had a nice sunrise that morning. Though the image has drama the centralized placement of the sun is not working well here IMO. I have attached a cropped version with a Rule of Thirds Grid on it to demonstrate how I recropped it. I wanted to get the sun at one of the power power points (where lines cross) and remove the dark FG water. I hope you like.

I have made a few images like this and I will frame it with the sun on the left or right of the frame (Rule of Thirds placement) and then wait for the gulls to fly around in the opposite side of the frame, making an image when they are silhouetted well (like you did with the one flying here). The gull on one side and the sun on the other balance the image.

I cropped the sun to the left here because I like the FG gold reflection in the water. However I like the clouds on the left too - it was one or the other and I choose the FG water to anchor the image.

Alfred Forns
03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Great suggestion and fully agree with Robert Can also suggest using the longest focal length and converter With the 600 we normally stack converters to have the sun as large in frame as possible !!!!

Excellent feel I lke the image a lot !!!!

Harold Davis
03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
robert's crop is very strong. i like it a lot. beautiful NZ sunrise.

cjmchch
03-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Great suggestion and fully agree with Robert Can also suggest using the longest focal length and converter With the 600 we normally stack converters to have the sun as large in frame as possible !!!!

Excellent feel I lke the image a lot !!!!

The shot was taken with a 300 prime and didn't have my 1.4x with me. I'm not entirely convinced on the traditional RoT on this shot. I intentionally cropped it to centre as I felt it deserved it. Always learning though so will play with it some more and will try some different crops.

Thanks for the comments.