PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom

BillTyler
02-01-2011, 02:46 AM
I was out walking the dog when I saw this mushroom by the roadside. It's gone now.

Bill

Canon 7D, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 lens at 160mm
1/60, f/5.0
ISO 800

Steve Maxson
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi Bill. I like the mix of colors on your mushroom and the small whitish structures on the surface add texture and interest as well. For ISO 800, the noise is very well controlled in the dark areas. The lighter area in the ULC is mildly distracting. Because the image is primarily about the head of the mushroom, you might consider a tighter, square crop to further emphasize it (and remove the ULC in the process). :S3:

BillTyler
02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the idea about the crop. I see what you mean about ULC.

Bill

Ken Childs
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey Bill, those are some great colors you captured on this 'shroom! The grass and pine needles are somewhat distracting so Steve's suggestion of a tighter crop is a good one and you might even try cropping in further....so tight that all that shows is colorful mushroom.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Bill,
Sorry a little late to the party. Can't add much to the advice given above.....but since it isn't illegal to pick mushrooms......this little guy may have been better off repositioned with a bit of an underside view for a different angle! Just something to keep inn mind for next time out!

BillTyler
02-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Here's a tighter crop. I've also darkened the surroundings removed some grass, and rotated it.

Bill

Marina Scarr
02-04-2011, 10:17 AM
You're on the right track with cropping the image to alleviate the left corner distraction, and I like the darker BG. However, this may be overkill. We'll have to see what the moderators have to say since macro is far from my forte.

I do feel as though the center of your shroom is a tad soft as I don't think the F5 gave you enough DOF. The colors you have captured here are absolutely stunning.

Steve Maxson
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Bill. Your repost is clearly more dramatic and really gets right to the heart of the image. The mushroom stands out nicely against the black background, though I notice that some of the black is bleeding onto the outer edges of the mushroom - you may want to tweak that a little. You might also try to remove the single grass blade at the bottom which would take the image up another notch. :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
02-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey Bill, I think the tighter crop, but especially the darker BG is an improvement. I did like the Japanese flag like quality of the original ratio, tough. I think the mushroom could also do with a little tweaks on saturation and contrast.