PDA

View Full Version : Black River in Muskoka

Andrew McLachlan
01-31-2011, 09:04 PM
A shot from a couple of years ago along the Black River in Ontario's Muskoka Region. Heading up to the area this weekend so thought I would review some of earlier results and came across this one so thought i would post it.

Nikon D200
18-70mm lens @ 24mm (36mm effective)
ISO 100
f22 @ 0.8 sec
Polarizer

Look forward to comments.

Dave Mills
01-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi Andrew, Having flat,overcast lighting to deal with I feel you put together a very interesting and well thought out composition. The snow bank in the foreground has some detail and acts as a frame and a leading line. The large tree on the rt is well placed and fills that area nicely. You've minimized the sky which has some detail. Finally, the water shows good detail and forms a diagonal through the scene. Well handled!!

Tim Munsey
02-01-2011, 06:18 AM
This is really nice, my favourite of yours so far.

Tim

Kaushik Balakumar
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Beautiful image Andrew. Nicely composed image. Liked the water flowing across the frame.
And some nice textures seen in the snow in the FG.

Robert Amoruso
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Agree with the above and also like the finger on the right pointing into the image. It is an opposing diagonal to the river.

Richard Lovison
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Andrew,

I like the mood and the flow of the water in this one. What bothers me slightly is the size of the snow in the foreground. If it were mine I might crop a bit up from the bottom.

Richard

Andrew McLachlan
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Much thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them very much!

Hilary Hann
02-02-2011, 04:54 AM
The water makes this image for me. I love the way you've captured the icy flow of it.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey Andrew,
Going with Richard on this one.....even though there is depth to the snow to me the RH side unbalances the image.....so crop up works great for me. I would also come down a touch on the top....about 1/2 or 2/3 the space above the tree. This pano emphasizes the horizontal flow more and seems to balance bette for me. Nice option to have with crops but very well handled and seen!

Chris Korman
02-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Andrew, I like the composition with its different layers. I think that the foreground snow is a bit grey, especially with respect to the tree on the right hand side which is relatively bright.

Andrew McLachlan
02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Hillary, Roman, Chris, much thanks for the comments very much appreciated. Revisited this location yesterday for my winter workshop - river pretty much frozen over due to many -30C nights. Will post some fresh pics later in the week.