01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Canon EOS 7D
Lens 300 f2.8
SS 1/1600
f8.0
ISO 400
Kruger National Park
Hand held out of the car

This fellow surprised me whilst I were busy shooting other species, he came in the frame for a landing. I realize if I keep the 2x converter on I will clip the wings and quickly removed the converter and still managed to get this in frame with the 300.:S3:

Stu Bowie
01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Tack sharp Chris, and I do like the landing posture with the extended legs. Good stormy sky BG.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Stunning shot, Chris. Perfect profile angle, great light on the bird...and killer sharpness. Loved the pose, BG, exposure...everything. Good fast thinking on your end.

Craig Brelsford
01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Great instincts in realizing the converter would draw you in too close. Great instincts also in recongnizing that if you could get the converter off in time then you had a chance for a good shot. Finally, excellent execution.

Vivaldo Damilano
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Chris you must have removed that converter so quickly. Super pin sharp image, great pose and wing position TFS :cheers:

Marina Scarr
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
The light here is simply stunning, and I also like the landing pose and stormy BG. Don't you just love this kind of surprise.

Pieter de Waal
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Chris excellent image with great light and sharpness. Like the feather detail in the wings and outstretched feet. Wow - talk about quick hands well done.:S3:

DanWalters
01-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Really nice light and great timing. Like the intense look of concentration.

Duane Noblick
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
I love hw the Heron stands out from the darker background.....and the light on it is amazing.

Daniel Cadieux
01-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Impressive reation on your part...I suspect most would have kept the TC, or fumbled clumsely with its removal:t3.

Sharp as can be, and the inclusion of landing perch nicely anchors the image. Next time you'll have to ask this guy not to turn its head away - even if it is ever so slight!! Well done on all counts.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
I love the incredible sharpness and the bright whites of the bird in contrast to the dark clouds. And the outstretched feet.

I wish that the head were angled a bit more towards us.

Nice story but I am not buying it..... If the bird "surprised" you, then you did not have time to take off the 2X. If you saw it flying in from far away, then it did not surprise you :)

Which was it?

arash_hazeghi
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
light is really exceptional and details are great, glad you had time to take the TC off!

Chris Kotze
02-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments, it's much appreciated.

Artie, I was busy photographing a Fish Eagle +- 50 meters a away from me @ 600 focal. The Heron came in at the back of the Eagle and that is when I noticed it in the viewfinder. Yip I would say that it was far away but as these guy's are slow flyers and as I new where it was going to perch, I quickly reacted.
I have done this many times in the past - taking the converter off in a rush - as I'm sitting in the car and only drop the converter on my lap. That takes a couple of seconds.
Never the less of how it happened, I managed the shot, and as there are not many of these species in the Park flying around, that is why I called it a surprise! :S3:

Arthur Morris
02-01-2011, 06:20 AM
I'll buy that story but note that nobody is quick enough to take off a TC if they are surprise by a bird in the act of landing... When I am in a hurry to get a TC off I often drop it in the ocean instead of in my lap. If you do not believe that story, see here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/01/26/long-lens-depth-of-field-question-and-a-tc-in-the-pacific-tale/) for details :)

ps: My story is not exactly true, but close....

Dumay de Boulle
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
WOW Chris...The best GH pic I have ever seen...Man I love your work! Looks like that 7D is working wonders for you. Looking froward to that TC III, think its gonna be great for us guys with the 300 and when we need that 600mm...Apparently IQ is far superior to the current version...cant wait.

Chris Kotze
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks Dumay it's much appreciated.

Artie great story, one will do anything to lay your hands on new equipment :S3:

Arthur Morris
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
There were lots of folks there who could have dived off the cliff to try and get the TC. Only about 80 feet to the water and rocks below....

Nico Steenberg
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Awesome sharpness and clarity Chris :eek: