PDA

View Full Version : Bet you've never seen this before!

Tim Munsey
01-31-2011, 09:17 AM
An old old cliche, biggest selling image I once heard of a jetty like this on this very lake (Ullswater), here's my go on a new one.

Tim

Dave Mills
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi Tim, Nice feel to the image and well handled technically. The use of the docks as leading lines point the viewer to the distant mountains.
My first thought how to shoot this would of been as a vertical. I would have tried to isolate the central dock and used that as my only leading line. I would also have positioned the dock a bit more to the left if I could have kept the other dock out of the image which I feel is doable. Great place to experiment with comps...

Katherine Enns
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Tim. The only prob w this image (and its not thr placement of the dock etc etc) its that the horizon is off by a full degree.

In PS there is a ruler tool you can use to right this, but it snips your signature out. Otherwise its a very nice photograph.

kat

Robert Amoruso
01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Tim, I like the OP and I like Dave's suggestion. Leading line use very strong here, good mood captured with the monochrome look and snow on the docks.

In the OP I would have moved right and gotten the end of the dock not touching the reflection of the nearer mountain on the left. That would have also gotten the leading line of the dock pointing to the far BG mountain and not the one on the right.

Richard Lovison
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Tim,

I agree with Dave in regards to having a vertical image and eliminating the left hand dock as I feel it would have made a stronger composition. I love the mood and lighting in the image. I like how you handled the lines of the pier and the horizon looks fine to me. I think that because the coastline angles away from the viewer on the right side this may lead some to think the horizon isn't straight.

Richard

Andrew McLachlan
01-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Hi Tim, nice capture here, love the clouds and the docks. Agree with Robert on moving to the right a little to eliminate the dock and mountain merge.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey Tim,
Agree with Robert on the dock and the reflection.....the 2 docks on the left provide some balance for my tastes......and gives a bit of a different take on the classic. Really nice dark mood in this one......which I enjoy! I did originally feel like Kat on the rotation....debating that now.