PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron with shrimp

Allen Hirsch
01-31-2011, 12:03 AM
50D with tripod & Wimberley head; f/6.3 @ 500 mm, 1/800, ISO 320.

I was at Cesar Chavez Park today as docent for the burrowing owls. On my way out, I saw a GBH, so I followed it to the low tide spot where it had landed and chased off a gull. I soon saw why: the GBH got a shrimp (maybe taken from/left behind by the gull?).

The GBH took over 6 mintues before having that shrimp, dipping it at least 3 times in the puddle and fiddling with it in his bill several times before finally enjoying his meal. I got the impression he didn't want any wiggling whatsoever from that shrimp, so it had to be deader than a doornail and limper than a dishrag before he'd swallow it.

Dave Leroy
01-31-2011, 09:12 AM
A nice story and thanks for sharing. I have also seen GBH's take quite a while while they have washed larger fish off in clean water. Fussy eaters.

I am not sure if a lower shooting angle was a possibility but it often makes for an improved photo.

Nicely exposed and a perfect look at the GBH.

Dave

annmpacheco
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Allen, I like your image and your story! GBH's seem to be very particular about food prep. I like the action this image conveys, the detail of the GBH as well as its prey. Raised foot with mud is an added feature! I like the BG, any mudflat is good for me! TFS, Ann

WIlliam Maroldo
01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Since swallowing prey incorrectly can have disasterous effects on a bird, such as if a bird swallows a fish tail first it can get caught in its throat and that's all she wrote! Therefore a bird needs to "flip" its prey to be of the right orientation, which looks like that is what is happening here. But the shrimp is curled up which could have presented a problem for the heron, and indecision!
A much lower shooting angle was called for, mainly because it minimizes a sort of yucky background which also distracts from the subject. Good timing. regards~Bill

Allen Hirsch
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Thank you for the feedback.

I probably should have mentioned I had no opportunity to get lower, as I was on too steep and soft an embankment to get down where the GBH was. And I (like Ann) didn't mind the mudflat BG.

I understand GBHs (and probably other herons) do a similar thing with fish - flipping them to get the right orientation - since the fish scales could do damage to its throat.

WIlliam Maroldo
02-01-2011, 12:50 AM
hi Allen. It is not the scales, it is the sharp spines of the top and side fins. The fish gets lodged in the throat, and this will eventually kill the bird. Not just a little throat damage.
I know, we all find situations it is not possible to get lower, and I'm glad you told me. I love mud flats, I take bird pictures on them often, but I fail to see the esthetic appeal and try to minimize them in image backgrounds. I guess its personal preference, but blurring backgrounds or otherwise minimizing their
impact is a useful tool in bringing full attention to the subject. regards~Bill