PDA

View Full Version : Gray Partridge

gary ellwein
01-30-2011, 11:53 PM
When foraging in my day, snow was up to our breasts and it was always up hill. This weekend, clear, mid afternoon. Nikon D200, Nikkor 200-400, 1.4TC, f/5.6, 1/500, EV +1.33, iso 200, matrix, beanbag on pickup window. Left abundant clean background for a feeling of desolation. Crop approx 50%, removed out of focus head of one additional partridge. C & C appreciated.

Dave Leroy
01-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Ah yes. Those were the days!

I like the nice low shooting angle as well as good look at partridge. Nice ha.

I might look at a bit tighter crop with a slice off bottom and a bit more off top. I think it would still leave feeling of uphill struggle.

Dave

Ray Rozema
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Love the uphill senes and deep snow. Exposure very good. Good eye contact. Like the crop as is but Dave's suggestion also good. Or might even add to the left to give the impression of long ongoing struggle. the shadow of the bird is a definite plus add depth

Tom Redd
02-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Beautiful shot Gary. Good Light, focus and DOF. I would vote for a tighter crop, especially off the top as has been said. I have a relative in Rexburg and she has these birds coming into her yard. She sent me a photo, she wasn't sure what it was so I told her. They are quite attractive birds. I would love to get there for a few shots like this one! TFS

Julie Kenward
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I also think a tighter crop off the top would balance the image better and leave that feeling of struggling uphill. The bird is beautiful and you did very well for one that was walking away from you. Without that head turn and that eye contact this would have been a whole different image.

Brendan Dozier
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Great comp Gary. Nice detail, color. Julie makes some good suggestions, and I usually like tighter crops, but for this, I really like the space you gave it, and that long diagonal line of snow.