PDA

View Full Version : American Bittern at Myakka River, FL

Sean McMahon
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Just returned from a Gulf Coast vacation.

WOW! Is all I have to say. Why do I live in Boston again? :cool:

Made several stops along the way including Myakka River State Park.

I saw this guy fly in near the dam and land in the grass near the observation deck.

A small crowd then gathered to see him and yet he remained, 10 to 20 feet away, sloooooowly foraging for at least a half hour before we left.

Had to pull the zoom back to fit him in for this particular shot.

Any thoughts?

*See several more of this guy at my flickr profile below.

Happy Shooting!

Sean
--------------------------------
Handheld
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Lens: Canon 75-300mm f/5.6
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 260 mm
ISO Speed: 400

Fabs Forns
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Bittern pose. You had some dificult mixed light that always produces problems, but a Bittern out in the open is not to be ignored :)
I wouls have pointed the camera more to the left, to give him more room in front, you have that extra inch in the back.
You should try a reverse cruve to reduce the harsh light.
Glad you enjoyed your Florida trip :)

Bill Foxworthy
03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Nice Bittern. I haven't been out to Myakka Park in a long time. Images like this make me want to go back now!

Sean McMahon
03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys.

Fabs, I hate to admit, that I don't have Photoshop. I tweak to my own eye using Pixmantec Raw Shooter, and I really knocked down the highlight contrast on this one. I wish I could selectively tweak his body that has the strong light "cast".

Maybe I should invest in a class, and Elements or Lightroom.

I'm trying to keep the budget in check. I only shoot with a Rebel XT and 75-300 f/5.6 and have an old copy of Pixmantec Rawshooter sw to convert RAW to jpg. I squeeze all I can from this gear, but hope to trade up to some better glass.

But yeah your right, I envy you guys who live in FL! I didn't want to come home!

Sean