PDA

View Full Version : Fall came early this year

Mats Honkamaa
01-30-2011, 07:20 AM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7981/img74172web800px.jpg

What could I have dont better documenting this old leaning barn. I think i might find the photo little bit straight on/boring.

Canon 7D with Sigma 18-50/2.8
f/5.6, 1/80 sec and ISO400

Nick Palmieri
01-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Mats, I think if I were trying to document the leaning barn, I would include more of the scenery by backing up a bit. I would put the barn in the "rule of thirds" and be sure to include something relatively straight, like a large tree. I think the tight crop is accentuating the listing of the barn and makes one think the entire image is rotated. Neat looking barn and nice colors. TFS

Roman Kurywczak
01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Mats,
The barn is interesting but I have to agree with your own self assesment on it being a bit boring/static as presented. It may have been stronger as a vertical......isolating the colorful tree a bit more.....but that may also have introduced a uninteresting sky. My recommendation would have been to move more to the right to get some of the side of the barn giving the image some more depth and interest by showing the side yet keeping the main interest on the front. Even as a horizontal, getting in a bit tighter even eliminating the sky in the UR above the trees so that the cut on them.....appeared more deliberate. Hope this makes sense and helps you out for next time out in the field.

Dave Mills
01-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Mats, good options on this composition stated above. When shooting a landscape such as this (or any) it's important to work the subject and put together other ideas. Sometimes ones first choice isn't always the best or more than one strong comp can be made from the same scene...

Daniel Cadieux
01-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Lots of character on this little structure, and I can see the appeal in wanting to photgraph it. The suggestions offered will give you nice options for when you return there. I do like the end of fall, waiting for winter feel you have here (even though it is my least favorite time of year!:bg3:)

Mats Honkamaa
01-31-2011, 05:55 AM
Im amazed how great the feedback is on this site. Thanks alot!

Robert Amoruso
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Mats,

Your other option would be to do very tight and concentrate in the details of the building. All those old boards with cracks and color variations have a lot of interesting compositions.