PDA

View Full Version : Boodjamulla Birds #4

Colin Driscoll
01-30-2011, 04:19 AM
Meet the outrageously colored male Gouldian Finch, once thought to be close to extinction but coming back. These were a challenge. First to find them in about 15 hectares of tall spinifex and then to get them in some sort of open space. So by default it's a habitat shot but I think the bird can hold its own in the BG. Taken near sunset.

Some cleaning up of excess grass stems in CS5

50D 100-400 @ 400 1/500 f6.3 -2/3ev iso400 430EXII -2/3ev plus beamer.

Linda Dulak
01-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Colin: So nice to see a picture of a wild Gouldian. And a beautiful male in what looks like a great breeding condition at that!! I love the lipstick markings on the beak and the long tail spikes which you were fortunate to capture. As Peter stated, there are a lot in aviaries, including mine, but it's so special to see one in the wild. I love the setting which shows the wild habitat, something I cannot reproduce in my aviary setting.

Is this area where they are found naturally or is it in the area where they are being reintroduced? Has the "hurricane" that struck the area last year, I think, had an effect on the birds?

Linda

Colin Driscoll
01-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. This was in a natural area and there were only about 8 birds present (out of the ~2500 thought to extist in the wild). Altered fire regimes and grazing are considered the main pressures on these birds. They were in full breeding phase searching for suitable nesting hollows and courting- I have a courting shot that I might post later. I found that the black on the head was almost totally unreflective.

Linda Dulak
01-31-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd be interested in seeing a courtship picture. I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen a picture with the feather detail in the black head well defined. Those are very small feathers.

BTW, having raised these birds I've found it very interesting to examine the feathers on the breast. Those feathers are colored only on the tips and are mainly white to grey. It takes a lot of feathers to make that intense purple color over white.

Thanks for showing this image Colin. It's a place I've always wanted to visit but it' getting more unlikely the older I get :S3:

Linda

Pieter de Waal
01-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Colin that is the most colourful bird I have seen, a first for me. Nice alert pose with lovely light. I like the habitat. TFS the background info and nice to hear they are recovering.:S3:

James Yule
01-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Special bird nice colors love it! Few distracting foliage but who cares Nice!