PDA

View Full Version : A milestone for Short-tailed Albatross

Declan Troy
01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
The endangered Short-tailed Albatross has a tenuous hold on existence. The extant populations nests on the side of a volcano in Japan. That is until this week when a pair successfully hatched a chick at Midway. A long way from an established breeding colony but a promising development. I recall Artie and participants posted images of a short-tail from their excursion to Midway; perhaps one of the birds in the news. In any event you can read all about it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwspacific/sets/72157625522391142/

We get short-tails up here in Alaska. I saw some last fall out in the Bering Sea. Here's a young one.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5040503690_cb0a165499_b.jpg

Jeff Cashdollar
01-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Troy,

Great shot and link to a powerful article on this species. It is interesting to read about things that go into protecting a species like this. Breeding grounds, research and a focus on making it happen. The article shows some of the key activities and timelines involved in saving this beautiful bird and maintaining Biodiversity. This is a strong post, I really like this one and thanks for helping birds.

Keep supporting our feathered friends - Best, J$

ps - just look at that wing span - wow!

John Chardine
01-31-2011, 09:42 PM
This is very good news indeed. Declan didn't mention that the volcano they nest on (Torishima Island = Bird Island) is active!

Declan Troy
02-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to get too wordy on the background lest no one read to the exciting news from Midway. But since you bring it up Torishima is active and indeed some albatross nests were recently lost to an avalanche there.

You could also have called me on inferring that they all nest on Torishima but there is also another small group nesting on one of the islands (Senkaku) that is contested by China and Japan. Due to the propensity of short-tails to nest on insecure (physically or politically) sites there is an ongoing program to translocate birds to establish a colony at a safer site (Mukojima). So far so good, not positive they nested there but birds have been returning and courting. But even better that the birds may be taking things into their own hands and colonizing other sites.

John Chardine
02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Declan- I didn't know about the other nesting location. Thanks for that.

I heard that a couple of birds were taken on long-lines last year in the North Pacific. Don't know the details. I understand that the (lucrative) fishery can be shut down if three are caught. Again not absolutely sure about this latter detail.

Declan Troy
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey John,

The incidental take limit sounds familiar but the "good" news is that there was but one caught in 2010 (unless there are others in Asia that don't get into anyone's records) and the one mortality was the first in more than a decade.

STAL births on Laysan and deaths in Alaska make headline news up here.

http://www.adn.com/2010/09/14/1454123/commercial-fishing-hook-snags.html

Jeff Cashdollar
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Declan,

The "bycatch" concept is terrible but looks like progress has been made with commercial fishing vessels.

The various nesting sites provide diversity - nature knows best - thanks for the research. Well done, please keep us informed. I would like to use this site to help birds anyway possible - keep it up.