PDA

View Full Version : Tulip

Dave Leroy
01-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I took this the other day in my office. Natural light from left and light bulb on right.

The bg to right of flower was actually brownish but I used it to set a black point.

7D, 100mm macro and 25mm ET, 1.6 sec, f/16 ISO 400.

Photo is a bit DOF challenged. It made me wonder about using micro adjust to try from some back focusing as one possible solution.

Dave

Dave Woeller
01-29-2011, 09:53 AM
I really like this, and agree a bit more DOF might make it stronger. My personal taste makes me wonder if just a small crop off the left would make some difference. The darkest edge on the left of the stem just bothers me a bit. Again just personal taste. Love the composition though.

Steve Maxson
01-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Dave. I really like the mix of colors - the way the yellow blends into red - and the flow of the petals. I would agree that the image would be stronger with more DOF. :S3:

Ken Childs
01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey Dave, nice subject, colors and comp! As you already know, the main problem is the lack of DOF. If the flower is still in good shape, I'd revisit this one. :S3:

Dave Leroy
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys.

Flower fell apart while I was getting some yard chores done.

I'll get the dof better next time.

Dave

BillTyler
02-01-2011, 02:48 AM
I agree with the comments about DOF and the dark edge of the stem. However, the image as a whole works well. The colors are beautiful, as are the shapes. The dark background is very effective.

Bill

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey Dave,
Yep another vote for DOF......but as I struggle with shallow DOF stuff......perhaps wide open? Just some food for thought the next tiem you get another beauty like this!

Dave Leroy
02-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks Bill and Roman.

I had also tried f/11 on down and it seemed to only get worse.

I needed to have also gone f/22 and up.

Thanks Again

Dave

Marina Scarr
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I find the colors here lovely and the pattern/design very appealing.

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks Bill and Roman.

I had also tried f/11 on down and it seemed to only get worse.

I needed to have also gone f/22 and up.

Thanks Again

Dave

Yes, I think you should have gone up to f22 or as high as possible. I haven't used extension tubes, so don't know how to manage dof with them. Maybe taking this photo just with the macro lens would have allowed you to get more dof.

The composition and colors are just wonderful!!

I took the liberty of playing around with your image, creating an Orton Effect--all soft, and cropping some from left. I was just curious as to the effect.

Dave Leroy
02-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Looks good Anita.

I like how it smooths everything out. It really adds a lot of appeal to the yellow.

Dave