Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/400"
F2.8
ISO:400
Tripod
LR and CS3
BG is white foam core.

I was shooting a Zinnia indoors last summer when this tiny jumper crawled out from inside the petals. I was in shallow focus mode and the little guy wouldn't hold still so this was the only acceptable shot of it that I was able to get.

I cloned away some partial petals

Roman Kurywczak
01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Almost looks 3D Ken! As you know....I am more of a max DOF guy!.........but this is working for me as the face is tack. I can see why you went with this presentation too.....although I am surprised at the amount of room given you share my love of the crop tool:D! I wiould prefer with less left and bottom.....but it does work as presented also. I am a fan of high key......so fine with that look also! Pretty cool find and I think it worked out nicely!

Allen Sparks
01-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I like the focus where it counts and the placement on the petal. I am not a high key lover so maybe you can do a black BG just for me someday :t3.

Nice image and an interesting subject.

Hey, in a fit of winter boredom I bought twin speedlites, brackets and stuff...I need to come to your farm for a lesson sometime!

Dave Leroy
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Nicely done Ken and well done to capture the moment.

Tack sharp where it needs to be.

Nice to see the spider isolated on a single petal.

Dave

Steve Maxson
01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi Ken. Jumping spiders are tough - because they are tiny and, as you note, they don't stay still very long. On the other hand, when you are successful, the photos can be striking (Jules may not agree :eek:). I find the large eyes very attractive (for a spider) and you nailed the focus on those. Good job getting it isolated on the single leaf and facing you. I'm not a huge fan of white (or black) backgrounds, but that is strictly a matter of personal taste. You might consider a tighter crop as suggested by Roman. :S3:

BillTyler
02-01-2011, 02:52 AM
The only thing I'd change about this is just a tiny bit more DOF to get the front legs sharp. Easy to say and hard to do with this subject. The sharpness of the face, the catchlight in the eyes, and the nice contrast of colors makes this a keeper for sure.

Bill

Anita Bower
02-05-2011, 06:49 AM
I like it! Wonderful eyes and details. The shallow dof works for me. The crop is not something I can help with--a bit challenging.