PDA

View Full Version : Coots In The Fog

Dave Phillips
03-19-2008, 08:09 PM
This was actually a quick grab around 6:30 one morning
just about a year ago at a little place called Cooterville,
so the coots photographed are quite appropriate.
Full frame width cropped top and bottom.

1/1000, f/6.3, ISO 800, Bigma at 226mm
With what I know now, aperture should have been much smaller
http://i26.tinypic.com/30tot3b.jpg

Thank you for looking and any critique comments

David Kennedy
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Dave,
I, too, would suggest a smaller aperture, but also a little more care with the left and right edges. A crop from the right would eliminate the base of a bald cypress creeping in on the right side, but a slight pan to the left would have taken care of that and given the cypress on the left edge some room.

And while it's not something you can "fix," waiting for the coots to create a formation with good head angles would have improved the image significantly. Good idea--just a little more care in the execution for future reference.

P.S. you totally could have posted this in my forum (panos) :)

Dave Phillips
03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Dave,
I, too, would suggest a smaller aperture, but also a little more care with the left and right edges. A crop from the right would eliminate the base of a bald cypress creeping in on the right side, but a slight pan to the left would have taken care of that and given the cypress on the left edge some room.

And while it's not something you can "fix," waiting for the coots to create a formation with good head angles would have improved the image significantly. Good idea--just a little more care in the execution for future reference.

P.S. you totally could have posted this in my forum (panos) :)

thanks David, much appreciate the comp pointers, this is not my genre and I was just getting started wioth dslr, but want to learn more.
Haven''t been to pano yet, will get there though

Gayle Clement
03-19-2008, 11:25 PM
I love this misty swamp scene, Dave.

David's crop idea looks good.

gary rouleau
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
David nailed it. If your ethics permit you can also eliminate the coot to the lower left.
Just a thought.
gary

Robert Amoruso
03-20-2008, 06:16 AM
I agree with David on this one. Nice framing of the coots with the overhead branches.