PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Farmstead

Gayle Clement
01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I was very grateful for the specific feedback on my last post. This is a terrific forum.

Here's one from a few days earlier. I took photos of this old home from several angles but like this one the most. I cropped a bit from the top and the right of this photo. I did wish for a wider lens.

Nikon D2X
Nikon VR 24-120 F3.5-5.6
F/18
1/100s
-.7 EV
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Gayle, I am glad you are finding the critiquing helpful. I do like this image and I like how you arranged the elements in it. I would agree that you had many composition possibilities at this one location.

I think for this view I might have lowered the camera a bit and moved/pivoted right. The move lower would bring up the fence rails so they did not enter the image from the corner. Now, what you have done is not wrong and composing the fence in the manner you did makes a strong image - diagonals entering from the edge. I do it myself. I have been altering my images where I have a fence entering the image like yours to having the railings above the corner. To me it makes for a different look that I like.

I would have moved/pivoted camera right to give the right tree more room to the edge of the frame.

I would suggest a moderate amount of Highlight/Shadow effect to bring a bit more detail into the shadows. Overall, the image looks a little dark on my monitor. Levels and move the mid-tone slider to brighten it up a bit. My monitor is not calibrated on the computer I am using now, so adjust or not according to what you see on yours.

Nice visualization of this scene, you must have had a good time with this subject.