PDA

View Full Version : WMC - Frost

Steve Maxson
01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Another image of frost crystals on my unheated sunroom window. 5D M2, MP-E 65 mm at 3-4X, 1.3 sec, f/10, ISO 100, tripod, focusing rail, mirror lock, cable release. RAW file PP in CS5, curves. I increased contrast to darken the background and I removed a number of small specs from the glass to clean up the image. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Steve, let me start off by saying that I layed in bed last night trying to figure out what I could sell so I could buy this lens and it's ALL YOUR FAULT. :t3

This image is exquisite and so detailed but I just had to play with it up close up. I'm not saying this is better by any means because I love the OP but I did a black and white conversion and then cropped in a bit and removed anything that felt extraneous to the "boot" area in the center of the image. Again...I was just playing around because I wanted to - not because I think the image needed it. It was a nice momentary diversion...

Andrew McLachlan
01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Very nice Steve, love the details and the sharpness.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-28-2011, 03:18 AM
A very very fine image Steve. Loved the details and contrast.
May I ask if this is a cropped image and if so, what percentage ?

kostas nianiopoulos
01-28-2011, 03:42 AM
verry good image image it's riminds me like a liquid aluminum or something , here only the last days there is some cold but i dont think so we will be so lucky to have snow , we dont see it that often in Athens :)

Steve Maxson
01-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Steve, let me start off by saying that I layed in bed last night trying to figure out what I could sell so I could buy this lens and it's ALL YOUR FAULT. :t3

This image is exquisite and so detailed but I just had to play with it up close up. I'm not saying this is better by any means because I love the OP but I did a black and white conversion and then cropped in a bit and removed anything that felt extraneous to the "boot" area in the center of the image. Again...I was just playing around because I wanted to - not because I think the image needed it. It was a nice momentary diversion...
Hi Jules. Thanks for the comments and I'm sorry I'm causing you to lose sleep. :t3 I like your repost - I always debate with myself on how to compose these frost images because there seems to be really "cool" elements in every direction. Your crop really gets to the heart (or boot) of the matter on this one. :S3:

Steve Maxson
01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
A very very fine image Steve. Loved the details and contrast.
May I ask if this is a cropped image and if so, what percentage ?
Hi Kaushik. Thanks for your comments. Yes, this image has been cropped - I would estimate that the posted image represents about 60% of the original. One of the nice features of the 5D M2 is that it gives me a lot of pixels to work with so I can crop, where needed, and still maintain high IQ.

Roman Kurywczak
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Steve,
Way cool! (yeah....bad pun I know!:D) I actually like the direction that Jules took it......just seems more graphic......which I like! I like the OP too.......so needless to say, my create frost images are not progressing because we are having some whacky weather! I have a few more days to try it!

Dave Leroy
01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Silky smooth and sharp edges.

I think of the two, I prefer the bit of bluish tone in the opening., although both are very fine.

I like the lovely intricacy of it. It is very hard to beat Nature.

Well done Steve.

Ken Childs
01-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm having the same discussion with myself as Jules is....I want that lens! I don't know that I could work the magic you do but I'm willing to give it a try. :D

Reza Gorji
01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Steve: Brilliant on how you did this one. Congratulations. I wish I had such talents.

James Yule
01-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Magical looking love the contrast

Allen Hirsch
02-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Terrific image, Steve.

As it was in the 60s again today in Northern California, I won't have any opportunity to capture such crystals on our windows.

Brendan Dozier
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Steve, I have never seen images of frost like this! Amazing looking, what magnification are you getting with that lens?

Marina Scarr
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I can see what hard work it is to compose those snowflake images. I like both versions presented but feel that Julie's has a bit more of an edge partly b/c it has cleaner edges which gives it more strength. Also, the flakes look sharper and like metal in her frame which I find more appealing. However, I like them both, and they are very different from one another.

Steve Maxson
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Steve, I have never seen images of frost like this! Amazing looking, what magnification are you getting with that lens?

Hi Brendon, and thanks again everyone for your comments. The original image was taken at about 3X life size. The posted image represents about 60% of the original. I'm guessing that what you see in the posted image covers a side-to-side distance of 1 cm or less. It's a whole new tiny world out there. :S3: