PDA

View Full Version : American Wigeon

James Salywoda
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
American Wigeon
Southern California

I always look for colors in a varying background that compliment the bird in this case I think this Wigeon looks pretty elegant.:S3:

Nikon D300s AFS 600 F4 1.4 TC
1/2000 F8 ISO 500

Thanks For Looking

Jim

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Great IQ and detail James. The eye contact and reflection is very nice. If you have a little more space at the bottom it could work nicely. The BG compliments the bird and make it pops nicely TFS:cheers:

Nicki Gwynn Jones
01-26-2011, 12:19 PM
James, great low angle here and yes, the colours work really well!

Stu Bowie
01-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Good low perspective here James, and I like the overall light, detail and colours. I do like the mottled and colourful BG. Well captured.

Doug Brown
01-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I like the low angle, alert pose, and sharpness Jim. If you've got the entire reflection I'd try to include it.

Troy Lim
01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
James,

Very nice shot. I was struggling with exposure on this in Bosque, is there a way to expose and get some details in the whites by the tail?

Pieter de Waal
01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi James , love the colours, detail and raised crest against that superb background. I also like the wake which adds some motion to the image.

Charles Scheffold
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Beautiful shot, James. Love the blending of colors. Your images are consistently the ones I aspire to make :)

Charles

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
James, awesome shot. Great job on details in the forehad patch. The other white patch on the Wigeon is something I find the hardest to save. always. Nice irredescence and BG.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Careful James. You almost caused me to faint.... When I saw an image of a swimming (rather than flying) bird with your name on it I was shocked.

I like the bird, the slightly raised crest, the soft light, and yes, the BKGR. The rear white patch looks a bit grayed out....

I understand that I just missed you at Bolsa about ten days ago? Was this made at your fresh water pond there?

James Salywoda
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM
James,

I was struggling with exposure on this in Bosque, is there a way to expose and get some details in the whites by the tail?

Thanks! It's tough sometimes when your metering the whole scene with similiar colors especially when the light is stronger.
Now if this was taken in the earliest and best light the white patch would of held up better and probably would of held better detail.

James Salywoda
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks Artie!
I heard you were at Bolsa next time send me a PM or email me so I can arrange to show you some of my favorite spots. No fresh water ponds at Bolsa all saltwater except for the flood control channel that feeds into the outer bay. They graying in the white patch is in the raw file and was enhanced even more when I toned the whites down. I cloned it out. Here is a repost with the added reflection as requested.

James Salywoda
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Beautiful shot, James. Love the blending of colors. Your images are consistently the ones I aspire to make :)

Charles
Thanks for the kind words and compliment Charles I surely appreciate it.:S3:

Brendan Dozier
01-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Another nice one James! All been said, agreed about reflection, and you got it on the repost, great job

denise ippolito
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
James, A lovely wigeon image. Perfect details and the BG (as always) is wonderful.:S3:

Ofer Levy
01-27-2011, 06:12 AM
I much prefer the repost! Excellent!