PDA

View Full Version : Patterned Sky

Ian McHenry
03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
When out and about I am happy to see the changing forms of mammatus clouds although light is restricted.
Here is a recent picture.
Ian Mc

Roman Kurywczak
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Ian,
Great sky. Very dramatic. Did you use/own a grad ND filter? If not, you should definitely invest in one as that would bring your foreground more into harmony with the sky and make it more dramatic. Another approach, depending on your correction skill on the computer, is to do a HDR or pseudo HDR........which is to combine a correct exposure of the sky with the correct exposure of the foreground. Others are much beter at this than I (see Michael Pancier's work) (I use the grad ND) so hopefuly they reply with some specifics.
Hope this helps,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Roman,

Hoping Michael sees this and perhaps we can talk him into writing a short piece on how to do the pseudo HDR for the Educational Forum.

Ian,

I like the look of the clouds but find the FG land as an anchor unappealing with the buildings. It, IMO detracts from the drama of the clouds. I suggest just a composition of the clouds with the strongest shapes (left 2/3'rds of the image), open up the tonal range (levels) and pump up the contrast (curves).

Ian McHenry
03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks Roman and Robert.
Roman: I don't have a grad filter as didn't think I'd have the use for one. LOL.
Robert: I did take quite a few cloud only pix but this one had best cloud detail.
Interesting when you're working with cloud only pix edits the variety of colour differences !!!
Anyway here is the edit I prefer.
Ian Mc

Robert Amoruso
03-20-2008, 06:13 AM
I like the repost Ian. Very dramatic.

Ian McHenry
03-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks Robert.

Roman Kurywczak
03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey Ian,
My repost not to all tastes but............levels adj..................noise reduction applied,,,,,,,,,,,,,contrast adjust..........let me know what you think,
Roman

Ian McHenry
03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Nice job Roman.
You have produced a very artistic result with strong definition
Thanks for this.
Ian Mc